1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

McClelland 2010 bulk Virginia review

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Stoked, Jul 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stoked

Stoked Member

Feb 11, 2010

This is my favorite blend of a straight Virginia. It's delicious. I used a half bent billiard for my review.

Description: A blend of Eastern and Middle Belt lemon, orange, and orange-red Virginias. Flue cured, broken flake.

Flavoring: none detected
    Strength: mild-medium
    Taste: mild-medium

Superbly balanced blend, very satisfying when smoked straight. The moisture level is perfect. It burns well with few/no re-lights down to the bottom. Leaves a little dottle.

Top 1/3 of bowl: Cool, no bite. Slightly tangy. Earthy flavor (like a good Cabernet Sauvignon) rounds out the classic high note of Virginia. Perfectly balanced. Moderate, natural sweetness.

Mid bowl: Deeper flavor. Sweetness really kicks in, actually tickling the tongue with sweetness. Still no bite.

Bottom: Slightly spicy, more sublime type of caramelized sweetness. Slight tongue bite.

I rate this tobacco 4/5 stars, only because it's a little finicky towards the bottom to keep lit, as it burns a little hot and the flavor starts to diminish. Otherwise, it's an excellent value at $30 per half pound. This would be a great starter Virginia as well as being good for anyone who likes straight up VA flavor with no casing. Highly recommended.

sonarman likes this.
  2. DoverPipes

DoverPipes Member

Nov 1, 2009
    I love this straight and I mix it quite often. Very nice stuff indeed :goodjob:
  3. atwageman

atwageman Member

Apr 12, 2010
    2010 and 5100 are some of my daily goto blends. Superb stuff.
  4. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

Mar 15, 2010
    I totally agree Perique. McCl 2010 (and 2015, 2010 + Perique) have a "special" place in my cellar (couple o'pounds of each!). :thumbsu:

Thanks for the "spot-on" review. :0laugh:

Ed Puff!
  5. The German Shepherd

The German Shepherd Member

May 13, 2010
    2010 has been at the top of my list for some time.  A great Viriginia for sure.

6. LutzSpearo

LutzSpearo Member

Apr 3, 2013
    This thread is a few years old, but I have a question on this tobacco... how is the nic level? I do like some vitamin N, and am curious how this tobacco compares to others, for example Blackwoods Flake or FVF. Thanks : )
  7. DakOOk

DakOOk Member

Nov 26, 2012
    I wouldn't call 2010 a nicotine bomb, I haven't smoked Blackwoods Flake or FVF. But compared to a blend like Kendal Kentucky, 2010 is not even in the same league nicotine wise.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.