1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

McClelland 2015 review

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Glenn, Jun 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Glenn

Glenn Active Member

Dec 10, 2009
    McClelland 2015 Bulk VaPer

I picked up a half pound of this tobacco a couple months ago and I have really become taken with it. It is one of those blends where there might be better examples of it's type out there but it is so dang good and at such a good price that it is well worth stocking up on.

First it is described as "made from rich, orange and red Virginias to which enough St. James Perique has been added to create a refreshing smoke". The first thing I noticed is that it is basically a sliced flake that is more a mix of medium and dark brown in color. The smell is sweet, a little of the McClelland smell but not real strong. I happen to really like the smell of McClelland tobaccos, smells like really good Virginias to me. I know some folks are put off by it though. Anyway, there is a bit of that smell and overall it smells sweet and yummy to me.

The taste is very nice. Not overly strong. The virginias take the spotlight but there is enough Perique that you know it is there. It has a sweet and tangy flavor and never gets harsh. To me this could easily, easily be an all the time, everyday smoke. I just don't seem to get tired of it. It is just reliable and always satisfying. The nicotine level is pretty middle of the road. I don't think anyone will have trouble with it.

I normally smoke this in a MM Diplomat. I have packed it a couple different ways and have had good results both ways. The first way is to just drop the whole chunks in and really just settle them in vs packing them any. Top off with some rubbed out baccy and go to town. This is my favorite way and it generally gives you a long, cool smoke. The second way is to rub it out real well and pack. Works well too, just take your time as you smoke it or it'll get hot. I have not had a bad smoke either way. You may want to let it dry out some. Mine came pretty moist. I have smoked it straight from the jar and have also dried it some. I have not had any problems with it either way, it burns fine.

Really this is a very good VaPer worth trying and definitly worth some cellar space. A great value.
  2. jpberg

jpberg Moderator Moderator

Feb 9, 2010
    Glenn, I'm enjoying your reviews, sounds like you are really starting to enjoy yourself. Keep them coming.
  3. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

Jul 15, 2009
    Along that same line, Glenn, you might wanna pick up a tin of Tudor Castle and just sit on it for a couple years.

Excellent review, btw.
  4. Unforgivin

Unforgivin Active Member

Mar 3, 2010
    Great review...more McC's for the TAD bug. :cheers:
  5. Bri2k

Bri2k Active Member

Mar 12, 2010
    An excellent review indeed, Glenn! I always enjoy your posts and learn something from them too. Once my wallet gets off its starvation diet, I'll have to look into some of that 2015.

6. JohnnyFlake

JohnnyFlake Member

Jun 14, 2010
    2015 is a fantastic tobacco. Many long time pipesters consider it a benchmark blend, for vapers. One thing for sure, you cannot beat it's bulk pricing!
  7. DoverPipes

DoverPipes Member

Nov 1, 2009
    As far as bulks go, this is my "go to" VaPer.
    The price is great. I'll pick this up in between popping tins of old PCCA Beacon. :)
  8. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

Feb 11, 2010
    Good review, Glenn...

Wondering if you have an opinion of 2015 vs. Escudo? I have almost polished up my reserve of 2015, and have just started on them funky coins. To early for me to tell definitively, but Escudo has a wow factor that is missing in 2015. That said, price and availability make the McClelland offering much more appetizing, as it were. Just phishing for another opinion. Thanks-

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.