1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

McClelland Grand Orientals Yenidje Supreme

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by ChrisD, Aug 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ChrisD

ChrisD Member

Jul 28, 2010
    Anyone ever tried one of these tins? Looks like it might be a cool blend, any thoughts?

2. Deckard

Deckard Active Member

Jan 29, 2010
    I recently picked up tins of Smyrna No. 1, Yenidje Highlander, and Drama Reserve. They reward you for slow smoking more than any other blend I've tried. All three are winners in my book and I'm gonna work through the rest in the series on my next TAD order.

Ohshi - did I just say all of that?! Never mind, they're horrible, smoke hot and wet, bite like napalm and taste like sulfur. Steer clear if ya know what's good for you!
  3. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Dec 25, 2009
    Hi All,

I for one would be very interested to have a review from you if you try this one. I noticed it when perusing 4Noggins Catalogue and wondered if it'd be like Sobranie at all - they used to metion the "Authentic Yendije Leaf" as a feature of their tobacco.

Good luck with it,

4. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

Feb 11, 2010
    Well, I'm currently smoking McC's Smyrna #1...have to agree with the schizophrenic side :whistle: of Deckard that says it's a winner. He's also right in that it has to be smoked slow to fully appreciate it. This is the only Grand Oriental blend I've had, but they all seem to review well. Keep in mind they aren't oriental heavy; rather, they are used condimentally(?), explaining the slow smoke recommendation. A smallish bowl, preferably cob or meerschaum, seems to coax the most flavor, I believe. Jeez, since I'm rambling on about it, I should also add I tend to find myself thinking that it's pretty good, but not great...then I smoke a straight VA and immediately find its missing something...the oriental presence. Another bowl of Smyrna and I'm good to go. A vicious cycle to be sure, but a telling one on where my preferences lie. Guess maybe I'm a bit schizo too.
  5. dubhdarra

dubhdarra Active Member

Jan 6, 2010
    i had the yenidje from mclelland (whichever one didn't have latakia in it, can't remember which that is). it was good, but before i bought it again i'd get another tin of GL pease cairo, which was a pretty similar blend but just had a cleaner taste to me (the mclelland was the same flavor profiles but too muddled) and was slightly less overpoweringly aromatic. Its not a cased blend but the yenidje is like potpourri its got such a heady scent to it.

either way i'd pick up a tin, its definitely worth trying.
  6. 51flgoose

51flgoose Member

Sep 25, 2009
    I bought a tin of the Supreme back in February and opened it about 3 weeks ago. It is a subtle tobacco. The sweet VA is blended very well with the light spice of the Yenidje. Smoked slowly, it is a very rewarding blend.

I smoked three bowls to get an idea of the flavor and I am now allowing it to sit for a few months to allow it to age - at least a little bit.

A very nice change-of-pace tobacco for times when you want to enjoy the pipe for the pipe. I wouldn't smoke it if I were busy doing some sort of chore. I think you would miss the subtlety.

(one of these days I hope to post a comment without having to edit it... yes, I use preview... what's your point?)
  7. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

Jul 15, 2009
    LOL no need to be defensive, Bob - at least you can spell.

I have a can sitting here in front of me.... but I have about 47 open tins, so it'll have to wait.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.