McClelland Jubilee

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Albert, May 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Albert

Albert Active Member

I took a rather lengthy break from English blends in general as I focused and thoroughly enjoyed Va and Va/Per flakes for the better part of the past year. I started to get the hankering for that ol' toasty smoky flavor of a good light English and decided to pick up a tin of McClelland's Jubilee. It seems this blends was developed a while back then discontinued and now re-issued (maybe someone can fill in the story for me) After 6 or so bowls of it, I feel comfortable saying that this is the most well rounded, well behaved, balanced yet interesting English blend I've had yet. Its Virginia and Oriental components are in perfect compliment where you taste both, but the come together in harmony to form the base flavor. Then, with a very discriminating hand, comes a dash of Latakia AND a dash of Perique! The lat lending the subtle smokiness and the perique giving it a pinch of spice, Jubilee comes across like a gourmet chef prepared blend. At first it reminded me a bit of Margate, BUT, it took all the rough edges that never let me really get into Margate and rounded them out, and the way the Lat and Perique are used made this far more interesting.

In the end, I would say that Jubilee will satisfy the most discriminating smoker, yet is so well behaved and approachable, I would also recommend it as an intro to English blends, well after the obligatory tin of Frog Morton, of course.

:toast:

2. Lithua pipe

Lithua pipe Active Member

Very good review, Thanks.its now on my list.

3. Lestrade

Lestrade Active Member

Thanks for the review.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.