1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

McClelland Wilderness issues

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by DublinBecker, Sep 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DublinBecker

DublinBecker Member

I began going through the several "if you like Dunhill EMP you'd like..." blends recommended by fellow forum members today. I started first with McClelland's Wilderness because the glowing reviews I have come across on various review boards.

I aired out a pinch for about 10 minutes after opening the tin for the first time. The first minute or so of the bowl was smooth, with hints of chocolate and cream--a very promising start. However, the taste quickly got soapy. Yes, the alkaline, slightly bitter taste you get when some soap lather got into your mouth. Not sharp and caustic, but a distraction. It was also unusually difficult to keep lit. About a third of the way through the bowl, I decided to dump it out to see what was going on. The unburnt tobacco was quite wet. I really took my time with the draws, no big clouds of smoke...

There is a review of Wilderness where the poster described the tobacco to really improve in flavor a few months after opening the tin. Is this your experience as well? Perhaps I didn't properly dry out the tobacco?

2. DublinBecker

DublinBecker Member

Wait a minute. I've gotten myself confused. The tin was a McClelland's Blue Mountain... Sorry! Way too many tins lying around.

3. jpberg

jpberg Moderator Moderator

While I haven't experienced the alkaline sensation that you are getting, I do make it a habit to open McC tobaccos 2-4 weeks before I'm going to smoke them, just to them breathe.
    Usually I'll open them, toss the contents into a bowl and mix it up a bit, then return it to it's tin to sit (with plastic lid on) for the aforementioned 2-4 weeks.

Dondi and Stonewall like this.
  4. Tortuga

Tortuga Member

I do the same with most McClelland tins. I've found it to greatly improve them. It's not really a moisture thing, they just seem to need a little air.

5. Stonewall

Stonewall Active Member

I love McClellands blends and dress up like a f**king viking when I smoke them...

Albeit I do let it dry out for an hour or so prior to smoking them. I find when I transfer my open tins to a mason, leaving half the jar partially filled (as will happen when putting a 4 oz tin in an 8 oz jar) the aging/airing process works very well. I love these little discoveries along this journey.

If society doth collaspe, and I'm still in sound mind (shut it :bag:) and body, I have full intention of looting a McClellands warehouse while everyone else is killing zombies and looking for food. They say as the Titanic was sinking, the Violinist sat down with a bottle of scotch and played until the end...

jpberg likes this.
  6. DublinBecker

DublinBecker Member

Thanks guys. I poured out my jars into big bowls, let them sit for a while with occasional stirs, and now they are back in the jars for a couple of weeks. Can't wait to find the groove...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.