McClelland Wilderness issues

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by DublinBecker, Sep 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DublinBecker

DublinBecker Member

I began going through the several "if you like Dunhill EMP you'd like..." blends recommended by fellow forum members today. I started first with McClelland's Wilderness because the glowing reviews I have come across on various review boards.

I aired out a pinch for about 10 minutes after opening the tin for the first time. The first minute or so of the bowl was smooth, with hints of chocolate and cream--a very promising start. However, the taste quickly got soapy. Yes, the alkaline, slightly bitter taste you get when some soap lather got into your mouth. Not sharp and caustic, but a distraction. It was also unusually difficult to keep lit. About a third of the way through the bowl, I decided to dump it out to see what was going on. The unburnt tobacco was quite wet. I really took my time with the draws, no big clouds of smoke...

There is a review of Wilderness where the poster described the tobacco to really improve in flavor a few months after opening the tin. Is this your experience as well? Perhaps I didn't properly dry out the tobacco?

2. DublinBecker

DublinBecker Member

Wait a minute. I've gotten myself confused. The tin was a McClelland's Blue Mountain... Sorry! Way too many tins lying around.

3. jpberg

jpberg Moderator Moderator

While I haven't experienced the alkaline sensation that you are getting, I do make it a habit to open McC tobaccos 2-4 weeks before I'm going to smoke them, just to them breathe.
    Usually I'll open them, toss the contents into a bowl and mix it up a bit, then return it to it's tin to sit (with plastic lid on) for the aforementioned 2-4 weeks.

Dondi and Stonewall like this.
  4. Tortuga

Tortuga Member

I do the same with most McClelland tins. I've found it to greatly improve them. It's not really a moisture thing, they just seem to need a little air.

5. Stonewall

Stonewall Active Member

I love McClellands blends and dress up like a f**king viking when I smoke them...

Albeit I do let it dry out for an hour or so prior to smoking them. I find when I transfer my open tins to a mason, leaving half the jar partially filled (as will happen when putting a 4 oz tin in an 8 oz jar) the aging/airing process works very well. I love these little discoveries along this journey.

If society doth collaspe, and I'm still in sound mind (shut it :bag:) and body, I have full intention of looting a McClellands warehouse while everyone else is killing zombies and looking for food. They say as the Titanic was sinking, the Violinist sat down with a bottle of scotch and played until the end...

jpberg likes this.
  6. DublinBecker

DublinBecker Member

Thanks guys. I poured out my jars into big bowls, let them sit for a while with occasional stirs, and now they are back in the jars for a couple of weeks. Can't wait to find the groove...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.