McClelland's Blends

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by TedVig, Mar 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TedVig

TedVig total pipeflake

I've tried a few McClelland's blends - Syrian Full Balkan, Matured cake 2020, Classic VA 2010, English Cavendish 2025. I have a hard time smoking them or keeping them alight unless I dry them to twigs and dust. The "ketchup" aroma seems to go away at that point (not a bad thing). Am I doing something wrong?

2. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

I find that with a handful of American blenders. They seem to favor really broad, slow and cool burning cuts which, to me, just seem stubborn sometimes. McClelland makes some nice blends but I'm not their biggest fan. Don't give up on them, and sometimes just drying them well and packing them lightly is all you can do.

Some of these blends are more like this than others. I don't find much difficulty with some, others (2035, for example) just don't take light easily and need constant attention.

Ol Brokedik likes this.
  3. ShilohHollow

ShilohHollow Anchors Aweigh

I smoke McClelland 5100 quite often. I find that for me a more loose pack works wonders with it and for their flakes a good rubbing out works best along with a more loose pack. Keep at it and you'll soon love them.

4. TedVig

TedVig total pipeflake

I'll keep at it. I have some 5100 too. Forgot about that one.

5. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

I've never had the Syrian Full Balkan but the other 3 you mentioned are broken flakes and you are right - they are on the tough side to keep alight. Not nearly as problematic as Dark Star or Dark Navy Flake, but still challenging. They do benefit from some serious drying time and as Shiloh said, rubbed out works best. Rub them out well.

ShilohHollow, Hawkwood and Ted Vig like this.
  6. ShilohHollow

ShilohHollow Anchors Aweigh

Dark Star is a tough one, but so good once you get it going isnt it?

Lestrade likes this.
  7. cobbsmoker

cobbsmoker Active Member

The trick I find with McClelland flakes is 3 or 4 charring lights are needed before I light and tap.

8. Glenn

Glenn Active Member

Rub it out well, let it dry a bit and pack fairly light. Go easy getting it started, take your time. Once you get them rolling it is smooth sailing.

For Dark Star I rub it out as well as I can. Then I put it on a paper towel and nuke it in the microwave for 10 seconds. Pull it out and let it sit for several minutes. Load it up and go to town. Burns just fine. I have no problems with it that way. I love that stuff. If it was sold under the Esoterica/Germain label and released for sale once a year we'd all be hoarding it like Stonehaven part 2.

dmkerr and Ol Brokedik like this.
  9. Capt

Capt Active Member

As a huge fan of Mc blends, it took me years to get the hang of their flakes. Lighting, tongue bite, etc I had a horrible time. But I kept going and learned each blends temperment. Don't give up!

ShilohHollow and Rewster66 like this.
  10. Rewster66

Rewster66 Active Member

Are we still talking about tobacco?:beyes:

Mington and Capt like this.
  11. Jeebs

Jeebs Active Member

McCllelland's....Kansas City Pipe club blend.... Syrian Star is a good one....orange, red & lemon Va's w/ Syrian latakia. I'm not a fan of latakia.... but I really like this blend.

12. Rodfather

Rodfather Active Member

Wilderness and legends are both home runs in my book.

13. Glenn

Glenn Active Member

Uh, sure...

14. Ol Brokedik

Ol Brokedik Active Member

Deep Hollow. A sweet and easy smoke. Very forgiving.

15. Lestrade

Lestrade Active Member

Yes it is! :puffy:

16. dmkerr

I guess you missed Glenn's advice to nuke it. Don't forget - the microwave don't work unless you shut the door! :beck:

Capt likes this.
  17. dmkerr

Nuke it for 10 seconds... can't believe I didn't think of this. I guess that's why you're a genius and I'm not! :D

Gonna give that a try.

18. FlatbushPaul

FlatbushPaul Cellar is located in an undisclosed bunker

I go about it both ways, I sometimes fully rub it out and there are times I leave it "broken" somewhat. Either way it must be dried out really good. IMHO. When left more in the flake form it has a slightly sweeter taste to me. When fully rubbed out I find it more "bread" like. I love this tobacco and have quite a bit of it in my cellar. It gets even "more bettah" with some age on it!

Paul

19. FlatbushPaul

FlatbushPaul Cellar is located in an undisclosed bunker

I am lovin' me some Anniversary 2002 lately also! OMG is that a GREAT tobacco! Sweet, rich and just the right amount of Lat to enhance the Va's. And I can't forget to put Christmas Cheer on the list as well as Navy Cavendish. I have been able to procure some Navy Cavendish from 1999 and it is unbelievable! I have also come across Christmas Cheer from 1999, also GREAT! And don't forget Blackwood's Flake which I love also, especially with a little age on it. When McClelland does it right it can be phenomenal!
    To me they make great tobacco's to age!

Paul

20. jpberg

jpberg Moderator Moderator

Well, that's kind of the trick with McC, isn't it? Let it sit for ten years and all your troubles go away. Not the perfect answer, I know, but once you get into it, it's a whole new world.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.