McCranies Old Master

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Stonewall, Nov 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stonewall

Stonewall Active Member

I've had a bloody chest cold for last couple of days and haven't been inclined to pick up my pipe. I must have picked up a cold from the woman coughing all over me at the Neil Young concert the other night.

But I drank my usual remedy of Scotch, cleanse tea, green tea, raw honey, cinnamon, and lemon juice, and started feeling better, so I loaded up a cob with McCranies Old Master that Robert Leslie had included with the Peterson Barrel I purchased from him (thank you, Robert).

I wonder, has anyone else found this similar, perhaps even a tad better on the flavor scale, to Carter Hall?

2. LifeOfRiley

LifeOfRiley Active Member

They're in the ballpark, definitely. OM seems to have, not sure how to put it, a "rounder" flavor than CH, and probably a bit sweeter. Most of McCranie's house bulk blends are re-branded McClellands. I wonder if this one is as well. Not too long ago it was one of my favorite blends. (I still like it, just got into other stuff.) Still among my favorite burleys.

I've blended an oz. of Old Master with an oz. of C&D Crooner, effectively cutting down on Crooner's deertongue quotient and adding some sweetness. A fine smoke if I say so my own self.

Stonewall likes this.
  3. Stonewall

Stonewall Active Member

I might try a little Va Woods to the mix. I like the flavor of the burley, I like a little more Virginias to round it out as you said. Hell, I might even try a bowls worth of two parts CH to OM. See what happens.

LifeOfRiley likes this.
  4. David Emond

David Emond Active Member

get a hot glass of water and put a tea spoon of cayenne pepper in it with a bit of tumeric powder and bam your cold will be fully gone by tomorrow

Stonewall likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.