1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Measuring?

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Jomodeere, Feb 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jomodeere

Jomodeere Member

Hey all,
    I have two questions here... Number one is how does everyone keep up with whats in their cellar? Is there a list or something? And number two is how do you measure out how much you have? I recently aquired a good bit of toby and I want to write down how many grams or ounces I have but I dont have a scale.
    Thanks in advance again,
    Jomo

2. JuJu McMojo

JuJu McMojo Member

Since I don't have a lot of tobacco, I just pull it out and organize by weight in 1 lb increments. For those tobys in mason jars, I weigh an empty jar with my kitchen scale (which I bought for brewing) and deduct that weight from the jars with toby in them to get a reasonable estimate. If I had the cellar that some of these guys do, I would consider a list (hand written journal or pc spreadsheet). There's also online cellars such as: THIS ONE which are kinda cool for browsing other people's caches--I started one, but it was a pain in the arse to keep updated, so I gave up on it. I also notice the "cellar" on this forum, but I haven't tried it. "Inventory" is something I do once or twice a year--I'd rather not obsess over it.

3. AndyLowry

AndyLowry Member

Spreadsheets and databases are really handy for keeping track. If you have an iOS device, there's cellaring software available for it. Weight-wise, a general rule of thumb is that a quart jar holds 1/2lb. of non-flake tobacco, and 1lb. of flake.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.