1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.
  2. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Meer-lined Briar - crack in bowl?

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by adpipes, Jul 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. adpipes

adpipes Member

I picked up another cheapie estate pipe on eBay. I got it all cleaned up but I noticed a crack in the meer lining. Cause for concern? Can it still be smoked?

2. user0003

user0003 Well-Known Member

Awhh... Smoke it. :thumbsd:

3. adpipes

adpipes Member

Nice, that was the answer I was hoping for. :thumbsd:

4. dubhdarra

dubhdarra Active Member

if you can smoke it until the cake covers the crack there won't be a problem even if there was one, which there probably isnt anyway.

5. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Hi All

Ditto to the advice above and if it gets really bad, assuming the briar wall's quite thick just do what a friend of mine did and scrape off the meer lining - you'll end up with a bigger bowled briar is all!

Enjoy the pipe

Gerry

6. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

If it's a hairline crack and not a void where meer is missing, then smoke the daylights out of her! Don't want a cake in the meer but when it's time to clean your pipe, remember the crack is there and let it cool completely before doing any "maintenance" on the inside of the bowl. In pipes that are meer lined, although it does wick toby juices away I feel it's more of a liner for the briar, sort of an "instant" cake but only meer instead.

Same rules hold true for meer lined, treat it like a meer. It has armor around it but the meer is still fragile. Used to own a Hilson Fantasia ~30 years ago and It was fun, and neat looking but I wished I'd stuck with cobs then. Part of my rotation was an Aristocob (metal & cob hybrid) and why I didn't listen to what the pipes were telling me....... but no, I felt the Hilson was better since it cost 7-8x more than the cob.

Meers are more tough and durable than ya think. If it's cracked or breaks, a good pipe-a-teer could mend it (glue it back together) and it'll smoke pretty much the way it did prior to the break in most cases. It just won't color evenly in the glued areas. No biggie in my book.

:eek:hyeah:

Ed Puff!

7. Deckard

Deckard Active Member

That's a great idea, but I'd just scrape out the lining right away. I always thought meer lined briar was neither here nor there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.