1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

meer lined pipe ?

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by Rider, Jun 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rider

Rider Member

hey guys, for those who remember i recently won 2 pipes on ebay. one a flame grain meer lined kaywoodie and a carey magic. my question is on the kaywoodie. it seems a little of the top half meer is good but lower is broken off. there is also cake in the bowl that im working on now. the main question is....is the pipe still good with the meer in bad shape? Thanks

2. dubhdarra

dubhdarra Active Member

both my meer lined pipes were in pretty good shape when i picked them up (BTW i bid on the kaywoodie you're talking about, it looked NICE). what i understand is there's no fixing the meer, and i don't know if you can just chip it out the rest of the way and smoke it as a briar. either way, good luck man.

if you're looking for another meer lined i'm selling two of mine (bought my first meer this week so they're kinda redundant now)

3. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

Sounds like someone didnt have an adjustable reamer and pushed to hard while tring to clean out the cake they shoulnt have let build up in the first place . I dont have an answer for ya. I guess just smoke it and if its ok then good if not maybe you could get the rest of it out and sand the interior and smoke from there . I dont know if thats the answer but ya didnt pay alot for it so it's worth a shot .I mean with the lining gone you still have a briar bowl . good luck

4. Rider

Rider Member

well its official.........i'm an idiot. i continued(all day)cleaning both pipes, mainly the cake out of the kaywoodie, and i made a discovery. the cake made it look like the meer was broken when it was actually intact. the more i went at it with sandpaper the more beautiful, intact, meer it revealed. HUGE relief. in my defense im sure 93% of you would have thought the same thing. it was pretty damn convincing lol. i have almost all the cake removed and meer showing except the bottom of the bowl which is hard to get to. does anyone have tips on that? well it was a happy ending and i blame you guys wishing me good luck for it. thanks a lot :)

5. dubhdarra

dubhdarra Active Member

congrats!!!

and with the meer lined i dont think a little cake in the bottom will do any harm. just my 2c. the "cake makes them explode" thing is a myth, cause i'm a hot, wet smoker and mine are A OK

6. jpberg

jpberg Moderator Moderator

As long as the cake in the bottom is not restricting the airway I wouldn't worry about it. I'm glad that it wasn't broken. It's a real bitch to patch those things, and if you take all the meer out you are left with a pretty thin walled pipe.

7. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Hi All,

Glad the meer lining is intact - when I read the first post I thought you're only option would be to scrape off the remaining meer and smoke it as a briar - I have one friend on another forum who did this and he reports that though he's ended up with a larger bowl the pipe smokes well.

If you want the remaining cake out at the heel, I'd suggest soaking a rag in spirit and gently twisting it around the bowl - it's slow work and you have to proceed very carefully as meer can get soft if it gets too wet but over time it should work. Some counsel against meer and alcohol, but I was given the tip that to keep a meer fresh and clean, when doing the final clean out at the end of the day, it can be a good idea to soak the last pipe cleaner liberally in alcohol and chase it down into the heel of the pipe then let it evaporate. I do this and my meers have stayed fresh despite heavy use.

I'm back in Scotland and have out my EA Carey Catalogue - at UK prices the "Sheer Genius Range comes in at £76.00, the Milano series at £23.00, the Woodland at £40.00, the Forester at £50.00, The Tigers Eye at £46.00, the Black Emerald Isle series at £42.00, the Freso Range at £35.00 and the Studio series at £66.00 as of Summer 2010.

Hope this helps,

Gerry

8. tsgourley

tsgourley Member

Quick question: Is the meer lining pressed meer or is it carved from a block? I have a Hilson Fantasia with a meerschaum liner, but it is pressed meerschaum from what I can tell because it feels... somewhat softer... than my traditional meer pipes. I'm so afraid I'll destroy the liner by smoking/cleaning it.

9. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Hi,

As far as I know all briar pipes with meerschaum linings are pressed meer - made from meer dust and adhesive; I'm not sure about top quality calabash pipes though, the top enders might be block meer.

The secret is to be gentle but not excessively so - you can wrap sandpaper round a dowel to ream it, but alcohol on a rag removes the sticky black deposits,

gerry

10. Mister Moo

Mister Moo Normal Cow Moderator

D'oh! Here's another way to do it.

I bought a meer-lined briar off'n ebay a few years ago and everything was going just fine until I discovered that neither seller nor I knew it was meer-lined. I scraped it pretty good with a Sr. Reamer and, by some miracle, I didn't destroy it. Suddenly I noticed the chamber showing a white color under the cake and I stopped grinding in the nick of time. I was one moderate push or twist away from totalling the pipe. Saved by dumb luck.

11. Rider

Rider Member

yea, id think they would use pressed. so is the bowl supposed to be all tan colored or can it be black?

lol

12. Mister Moo

Mister Moo Normal Cow Moderator

When it goes tan you have gone many-a-micron too far in my opinion.

13. Rider

Rider Member

cool, i guess ill leave it black ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.