1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Meers

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by BluesGuy, Apr 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BluesGuy

BluesGuy Member

Any one know a good on-line supplier of SMS meers.

I got one from the wife Christmas....and am so impressed with it I'd like a few more.

2. WillH

WillH Active Member

The main importer is ( www.smspipes.com/ ). They've been importing SMS for years and probably have the most complete selection available!

Will

3. BluesGuy

BluesGuy Member

Yeah....but they only sell to Dealers.....not individuals.

4. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

SMS are some fine meers, I have several but I will, no, "must" say that IMP blows the doors off of SMS as far as meers go. Better engineering, better airway design, better tenon-mortise "hook-up", just overall, better smoking pipe all the way around. Most of my SMS are from 20-30 yrs ago but some are newer. I'll choose IMP today over SMS. I'm not knocking SMS, just sayin' IMP is mo-bettah! :groucho:

SMS does show up on ebay now and then but I do believe they are being pushed out by the other brands that cater to the same pricepoints but provide a better product (IMO, ymmv).

:velho:
    Ed Puff!
    cogito ergo puff

5. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

Individuals can order direct from www.smspipes.com. I have done so myself.

6. t-bear

t-bear Well-Known Member

What DMKeer said. I've ordered from them, and their service is excellent. Samil and Beth are good, down-to-earth folks.
    Agree that to some extent, IMP has a higher grade pipe, but with that comes a higher price tag.
    If I were to recommend a quality meerschaum dealer, I would point you to Sinan Altinok or Deniz Ural Both are considered to be the best dealers in the business today. Again, you get what you pay for, but in my opinion, it's better to save up and go for quality. Unlike briar, there are very few "basket" meers worth spit. Both SMS and IMP will get you a nice, decent smoking pipe,,,,don't get me wrong........

7. BluesGuy

BluesGuy Member

Must not like me then.....would not let me order

8. WillH

WillH Active Member

Yulp! All true! The folks at SMS are great people! If you get the pipe and it's not what you want they accept the pipe back with full refund (-shipping). Also, the IMP and Altinok pipes pretty much out class the SMS pipes as far as the tenon is concerned. SMS is still in the dark on that issue. Never got a bad pipe from IMP or Altinok - can't say that about for the others.

Will

Bluesguy,

At one time you had to visit a different site to order direct from SMS. That's changed. You can order from the site I post above. I ordered a pipe last year. Didn't like the drilling an tenon so set is back! No hassels at all

9. dmkerr

Call them. I'm sure they'd want to know if their site was refusing orders. :eek:hyeah:

Let us know how it turns out.

I have 2 SMS pipes and they are both excellent. Having said that, I will also say that it is a lot more common to get an SMS that has problems with tight draws than an IMP, Baki, or Altinok. But one of my SMS pipes is a world-beater. It's been through every catastrophe known to man and still comes out smokin'! It is my single reference point against the old myth that meerschaums are fragile. I'd like to see a briar that's survived what this SMS pipe has been through. :thumbsu:

10. t-bear

t-bear Well-Known Member

I have an SMS horn that's the same way. It's my floatin-the-river-fishing pipe! I've dropped it, knocked it out of the boat (quick grab saved the day!) and all around beat the hell out of it. It never fails to deliver.
    [​IMG]

11. dmkerr

Shoot, it still looks great! Mine looks like a trainwreck. It has gardening dirt stuck to it. This pipe shovels snow with me in sub-zero weather and then goes inside to 70 degrees while still being puffed - it refuses to crack, as per all the old warnings. I've stepped on it and tossed it (only on the grass!) and, in short, have done my level best to kill it - via negligence rather than purpose. It keeps coming back for more. SMS pipes get high marks for sturdiness. :thumbsu:

That's a sweet looking pipe, T-bear! I love that shape.

By the way... to anyone else reading this thread... do not try this at home. I don't not recommend this sort of treatment. The funny thing is that the more this pipe has survived, the more I've found I love it and want to treat it better so it continues to deliver.

12. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

SMS' tenon - mortise could definitely use some "strength added" and as I'm sort of wishing, a bigger bore in this junction as well. The quality of carve and quality of meerschaum you get is what puts SMS in the best bang category. I've owned several and found the bowl-drafthole placements can be quite less than proper (as in up the 6:00 or back wall) or too large of a draft hole. Kind of easy to snap an SMS tenon or split a mortise ring, either will render the pipe a challenge to smoke. Sure, I've beat mine up too and they keep takin' the abuse and kept asking for more. Most incidences were kisses from the floor/ground. But the biggie in longevity will be this junction.

Yes, I'm still brutal to me meers! ;)

:velho:
    Ed Puff!
    Cogito ergo puff

13. WillH

WillH Active Member

Me too! I have a 20 year old SMS that's seen plenty of tough duty, and the lattice work is excellent. I just wish SMS would pick up the pace a little and change the tenon. I ordered a collection of nylon tenon parts so now I can change the things when need.....seems all I get is a couple years outta them. The pipe I ordered from SMS last year was drilled way off the mark. I can tolerate a little deviation except being drilled too high. That pipe was beyond reasonable. The gal said, "Gee it looked fine to me". Well, thar ya go. They don't smoke pipes so everything is wonderful as long as the outside is pretty. I imagine many pipe smokers would accept the pipe the way it was drilled and be thrilled to death with the pipe. Guess I'm picky....

Will

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.