1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Meerschaum bowls: whole bowl or lined?

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by Mington, Dec 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mington

Mington Well-Known Member

I asked this yesterday in another thread, but it must have gone unnoticed, so here we go again in a new thread:

My question:
    What is the difference between a pipe with a full Meerschaum bowl as opposed to just a Meerschaum lined bowl?
    Anything besides cosmetics?
    It seems that the full Meerschaums are more money (more material I assume).
    I cannot afford a full Meerschaum at the moment and the Meerschaum lined pipes are cheaper.
    I want to try Meerschaum soon. Should I just wait and save some more $$ for the full deal?
    Will I lose anything in the smoking experience by going lined only? Are Meerschaum lined pipes any good?
    Thanks in advance.
    Don "M"

2. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

Not for sure, but I think most, if not all, lined pipes use meerschaum powder. The normal beef is the reconstituted meer won't color...not a problem in a lined briar...BUT...I've seen several ebay beaters with the lining crumbling up in them. I would assume from that that the binder holding the meer dust together isn't as strong as straight meerschaum. Now, if the pipe has block meerschaum for a liner, you may find the (usually heralded smoking)benefits similar to those touted by carved block pipes. May being the operative word. Most guys want the carved meer pipes for the colouring and aesthetics, so YM (and dollar) MV.

-Kyle (resident meerschaum neophyte)

3. justMike

justMike Member

short answer would be cost, value and how you handle the pipe. Meer lining in theory gives a pipe the ruggedness of a briar with some of the smoking qualities of meer, theoretically. In practice, as Kyle suggested, it depends on whether the lining is solid block or a reconstituted substrate, in which case the binding agent will have a large part to play due to it coating all the meer granules.

Cleaning can be a bit of a pig if you don't stay on top of it; lack of moisture tolerence being a factor with meer, and I'd hazzard a guess that most of the binding agents won't take too kindly to an ethanol soak.

Basically you're getting what you pay for, a compromise that is neither one nor the other, but a hybrid, having some of the advantages and disadvantages from both. I know from experience that they smoke tolerably and are pretty forgiving (my first ever pipe was a meer lined briar), but if you're concidering buying one to benefit from the better qualities that either parent possesses, you may be in for a disappointment.

Personally I'd urge patience; I picked up a Peterson meer at a fraction of the cost I thought I'd need to pay; it smokes beautifully, and does so daily. The finer things in life are worth waiting for... One day I'll be in a position to order one of those finely carved Turkish masterpieces, but that won't be for some time yet...

4. user0003

user0003 Well-Known Member

Pick you color and buy one. This one of the all time great buys for a good meer let alone that it is a Peterson.

5. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

+1 on the Pete meer. All the goodness of a true meer and like Jeff said, she'z a Pete! Price iz dirt cheap considerin' how great mine smokez!

At ~$105 at COJ'z, it'z a steal.

Save your buckz and don't sell yourself cheap........you'll spend more in the long run. Start out with one you'll keep till the sun goez down the last time. Can't burn 'em out and theze Petez appear to be more able to take the rigorz of pipe smoking (holding them and feel the warmth of the bowl with no ill effectz associated with touching/holding/squeezing (soundz like a Journey song......... :) )

Otherwise get a good one regardless. If you don't go Pete, IMP makez some real nice meerz ~$75 even less ($59). Ebay, meerfan is reliable and direct from Turkey......shipz and received in 2 weekz or less.

:velho:
    Ed Puff!
    Cogito ergo puff

6. Mington

Mington Well-Known Member

Thanks guys for all the info and help. I appreciate your input.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.