1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Meerschaum lined Briar questions

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by Great Basin Ben, May 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Great Basin Ben

Great Basin Ben Member

Hi there everyone. This may be more pertaining to the "Ask the Old farts" section, but seeing as how it's regarding pipes, I put it here. If it needs to be moved, I completely understand.

So here's my question: Why wouldn't a Meerschaum lined Briar pipe, be EVERYONE'S #1 pipe of choice, given it's varying ability to perform, almost both like a Briar, and yet also like a Meerschaum???

I definitely will be picking one up, hopefully in the next couple of weeks, to try it out, and see/compare the differences, and similarities. To the complete Novice, (which I am admittedly), it seems like a no brainer. It appears on the surface, to be the best of both worlds, yet folks RARELY seems to be giving them much credit if any. I'm willing to admit, I didn't do a HUGE search of this kind of pipe, before asking this question, but in my week here so far, I have yet to really hear anyone mention them in their daily repertoire, of pipes... Why exactly is this???

2. badbusinessman

badbusinessman ☺️

Because I don't like smoking epoxy.

3. jhe888

jhe888 Member

I think they perform more like meers, but look like briars.

Often the meer is pressed meerschaum, which is meer dust and a binder of some glue. It isn't solid meer, so it may not even perform like meerschaum.

4. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

The good meer lined are block meer set in the bowl . My favorite pipe is a meer lined Hilson Mondial chimney Billiard .When meer is wet it can be carved with great detail ... so carving a bowl to fit a chamber is a no brainer for someone who works with meer . I've got half a dozen meer Lined pipes and they are all good but the Hilson is the shiznit . Keep your Meer clean and it's good to go . I think the reason why every pipe isnt meer lined is cause , as was said , the pressed stuff isnt as good , though it's not real bad , and a meer lined pipe will breath through to the briar and then " become ' a briar in a sense . I've found the best meer lined are the ones w/ block meer set in a briar bowl that is quite thin like this ... and meer set in gourd http://i845.photobucket.com/albums/...ction/CFBwv3gCWkKGrHqZhE0fCuDeBNT2dg5Q_14.jpg
    http://i845.photobucket.com/albums/...ion/CFBwqtg2kKGrHqVi8E1NhTekb-BNT2RQEKw_3.jpg

Imo ... these are the best . They smoke most like a meer . The pic is the sellers photo of my mondial before it was cleaned up . I scored it a couple months ago and along w/ a hundred year old gourd meer i've had for about 15 years It's the limit. The gourd is alittle to big to be my favorite

Great Basin Ben likes this.
  5. Great Basin Ben

Great Basin Ben Member

Thanks for the responses guys. I'm learning more and more every day. The ones I had the opportunity to buy were priced at approx. $80 and the Tinder Box here in Reno, only had (3) to choose from. (Not much of a selection), but then next time, I'm in there, I'll ask them, if it's block meer inside of them, or pressed. I greatly appreciate your advice so far.

6. Marc

Marc Active Member

I have just never cared for meerschaum pipes or meerschaum lined bowls.

7. t-bear

t-bear Well-Known Member

I own a couple of these. Good pipes, but more of a compromise between the two than the best of both. Meer-lined pipes hold moisture more than a full meer pipe, so they need drying, more like a briar. Unless it's high quality meerschaum, they will over time, soften and disintegrate in the bowl...admittedly, it takes a number of years, but....
    Don't get me wrong, I like these pipes....just prefer my meers.

Great Basin Ben likes this.
  8. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

Agreed . A meer lined dosent smoke as good as a meer in general .The mondial I scored is as close to a meer as I've found ... and the gourd meer . Yeah , the big thing is keeping it clean for sure. A dirty stinky Meer is a drag and wont smoke so great .

9. badbusinessman

badbusinessman ☺️

I never realized there were meer-lined pipes with block meer in them. I can taste the glue (or at least I imagine I can) in the pressed meer, but I'll have to try to find a block meer-lined to check out.

10. ArtisanArcher

ArtisanArcher Member

I think the big reason why you don't see them around as much is because you can make a pipe out of briar that will smoke good. So it takes extra work and learning that, overall, isn't as cost effective. *This opinion comes from a man that doesn't own a meer, or a meer lined briar. It just makes sense to me though... why should I line a pipe in meer when I'm making it from briar anyway and, after it's broken in, it'll smoke just fine.

Am I peeing in the wind on this?
    Arty?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.