1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Meerschaum lined pipe

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by buistd, Sep 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. buistd

buistd Sales Account

Hi there - I bought a meerschaum-lined briar pipe from ebay and have just smoked it for the first time. Upon cleaning the bowl after smoking I discovered that the meerschaum bowl is completely loose and comes out with very little resistance. Is this normal? I would like to know as it if it is not normal I need to get in touch with the seller ASAP to resolve the issue (if it is an issue at all). Thanks

2. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

No - it is not normal! - the meerschaum lining should be bonded-in to the woodwork.
    OT

3. user0003

user0003 Well-Known Member

Yup that's not normal......

4. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

Normally , that isnt normal . If the pipe is lined , it should bebonded as OT said . Some pipes have a meer bowl ' set ' into a cavity , many times held in place by a gasket of varying material . If yours is the lined kind .. then thats not normal for sure

5. shadow

shadow Active Member

Hi David!
    I'm wondering if your pipe could be repaired, i.e. could you just glue the insert back in again?????

6. user0003

user0003 Well-Known Member

I'd use something like Water Glass. I wouldn't want to use any household type of adhesive.

7. buistd

buistd Sales Account

Thanks for the responses. I contacted the seller and told them that "those in the know" said that it was a defect. They have very kindly offered to refund me.

8. shadow

shadow Active Member

That's a result, David! I take it you can keep the pipe as well..? If that's the case maybe you could "experiment" with it repair-wise..? or indeed use it without the insert, just like a regular Briar pipe!:puffy:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.