1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.
  2. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Meerschaum Pipes

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by WVDAVE, Mar 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WVDAVE

WVDAVE Active Member

I have a few questions concerning Meerschaum Pipes.
    1.) What's a good brand to start with that won't take a man broke?
    2.) Who's a good retailer to purchase from?
    3.) Which meers color better the smooths, lattices or the craves?

Thanks,

2. bluetip84

bluetip84 Member

3. WVDAVE

WVDAVE Active Member

I did the search function and didn't come up with much. I didn't realize there was a sub forum. So much for thinking I covered all the basics. Thanks for the help. I'll start searching the sub forum.

4. Lestrade

Lestrade Active Member

2) Can not go wrong with Altinok.

dhintonca likes this.
  5. JuJu McMojo

JuJu McMojo Member

1. consensus is IMP and Altinok--both seem start just north of $100 (but worth it).
    2. Altinokmeerschaumpipes or smokingpipes
    3. Doesn't seem to matter much. The quality (porosity) of the block seems to be the most important factor, but there's no sure-fire way to predict how or when a meer will color.

dmkerr and dhintonca like this.
  6. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

So true! I have a magnum-sized Baki meer that has a nifty marbelized coloration going up the shank, and then what can only be called a "color smear" on the front center of the bowl. This pipe is going to be a weird one!

7. dhintonca

dhintonca Member

Sounds interesting -- pictures?

8. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

Well, I have the pipe and I have the camera. Now all I need is the ability to take a close-up pic that doesn't look like a yellowish-white blur! Someday....

9. dhintonca

dhintonca Member

If you've a zoom lens, I've found it best to zoom to max and then back away until the image fills the screen and is in focus. It seems that the zoom lens doesn't focus well in close (I've a Canon S3).

10. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

mmmm......those Kodak 'Brownies' were not really meant for macro stuff Dan!.

nesta and dwaugh like this.
  11. iSiv

iSiv Member

I would start with an IMP or a Baki. In my experience IMP are good quality and the excellent photos on smokingpipes.com really show you what you are going to get. Baki pipes are also excellent and if you buy from bestmeerschaums you will also get lots of photos of the exact pipe you will get. You can get into a IMP or Baki for around $120 and up.

Other retailers may make your pipe to order to it will take longer and you're not sure exactly what you're going to get until it's in your hands. I'm not 100% sure of the accuracy of what I'm going to say next but it's my hunch: patterns, simple lattice and simple carvings on a good meer are to the pipe what sandblasting/rustication are to briar - they are to hide flaws in the material. Cheap meers may also hide flaws behind a fill - just like a briar - and you may not notice this until the fill is shown up as the pipe starts to colour. For this reason, it's good to buy from a reputable source.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.