Meerschaum Tough?

Discussion in 'Need Pipe Smoking Advice? Ask an Old Fart!' started by Stormy, Apr 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stormy

Stormy Resident Rain Maker

With all the talk about meerschaum it has me considering buying one. I have but one question.
    How rugged is meerschaum? will it hold up to drops, knocks, and dings?

2. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

No, so don't drop it, knock it or ding it! :D

Meerschaum is fragile in some ways and tough in others. Unless you drop it from a reasonably great height on a hard surface, it should survive and be smokable with a few knocks. But it dings easily. If it falls off a pipe stand onto a hard surface, I can just about guarantee you'll get a mark on it. But the same holds with smooth briars. Just make sure to place it where it would have a soft landing if it fell. With some forethought and a minimum of care, your meerschaum should outlive you and a few generations more.

qwik, Preacher1611 and shadow like this.
  3. Lestrade

Lestrade Active Member

It's tough enough!:ohyh:

4. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

I've dropped one a couple of times - onto the bare wood floorboards of my workshop, and it's been ok. Last year I was leaning low over the cast iron table of my milling m/c - looking closely at the work, the meer slipped out of my mouth onto it - and the shank broke off!......nowadays - I smoke COBS in there, they bounce a lot better!.
    Some meerschaum is harder than others, as an engineer - I have really hard skin on the ends of my thumbs, and actually marked one warm pipe, while fondling it! ( please fellas - no cracks about my personal life!:rolleyes:)
    OT

Mike Pomery, Old Codger and dwaugh like this.
  5. Mister Moo

Mister Moo Normal Cow Moderator Moderator

Briar is the Chuck Norris of pipe world - practically invulnerable. Meerschaums are more like Popeye; not near as tough as it acts.

SouthBound likes this.
  6. dmkerr

Oh, I don't know - 2 or 3 whacks with a hammer usually does the job. :ohyh:

Mike Pomery likes this.
  7. SouthBound

SouthBound Active Member

Somebody has a one-track mind. One little poll doesn't go his way, and he just keeps spanking us for voting with our pipes.

Forum Running

Old Codger likes this.
  8. Jammer

Jammer Active Member

Depends on the meer. I have an African block Peterson from the early 70's that I inherited from my dad (it's the only one of his 4 pipes (all the rest were briars) that survived intact) that has been used, abused, dropped, etc and besides darkening, a scratch and a small stain on the bowl it looks almost new.

Old Codger likes this.
  9. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

Almost makes African meerschaum a different animal...the way they suffer abuse with aplumb. I tend to just 'toss' my Manxland Meer around...besides being cheap, it just takes the licking no problem. I've already broken a Turkish meer under slightly less careless circumstances.

10. Stormy

Stormy Resident Rain Maker

Gentlemen, I thank you for your input and knowledge. Meerschaum it is.
    Seems to be a cracking good pipe.;)

11. Iain

Iain Active Member

:eek:

They are pretty tough those African meers, especially if they have a military style mount, means they can stand up to little accidents.
    Turkish meer not so much, particularly the latticed type, which is sort of like a bowl within a bowl, the outer section is quite fragile.

12. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

Sorry, Lain...'toss' is a relative term. I just don't 'kid glove' it. (It gets jammed in a pocket, sat on a cinderblock, etc.)

Stormy...if you like your current pipes...do not, and I meando not, get a meerschaum. Odds are you'll regret...(owning everything else!) :)

Old Codger and dmkerr like this.
  13. jdto

jdto Well-Known Member

My Peterson African Meer has me spoiled, no question.

Old Codger likes this.
  14. dmkerr

Agreed. I started with one measly IMP a few years back and now I've got 50 meers. They're like closet hangers, they just keep multiplying.

I don't regret owning my briars. I have some fond memories of them... emphasis on "memories". :)

Mike Pomery likes this.
  15. Mister Moo

Mister Moo Normal Cow Moderator Moderator

I always thought it was Iain, like Eon or Ian. Did you really think it was lain, like (Yorkshire country) Lane? What did you think his name is, Kerr? Is that pronounced cur or car, by the way?

Iain likes this.
  16. dmkerr

Uh... me too, Yang!

:popc:

17. t-bear

t-bear Well-Known Member

OK....now we're name calling. Where's a mod when you need one?!?

Oh wait....Moo *IS* a mudderator.....never mind!

18. dmkerr

Uh... Iain, of course! :beck:

My name is pronounced as in the sentence "I couldn't Kerr less". Scottish pronunciation. Like Iain... Scottish.

(I think, anyway....)

19. Iain

Iain Active Member

It is :)

Lain is a girls name and the only person I see wearing a dress around here is Yinyang :xd:

jdto, Old Codger, SouthBound and 3 others like this.
  20. Mike Pomery

Mike Pomery Active Member

Depends on the thickness of the bowl and the shape of the meer. I have a tough as nails IMP horn that shrugs off drunken carelessness like a stoic soldier, but I wouldn't think of treating my Atlinok or Baki the same way, as they are both quite intricately carved (and expensive)...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.