1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.
  2. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by Jomodeere, Mar 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jomodeere

Jomodeere Member

Jan 1, 2011
    Hey all,
    I'm looking in at purchasing a meerschaum because of all the good things heard of them. I just want a plain one to start with just to see if I like it. Nothing too big or fancy. Where would I get the best deal for one online?

Also at my local antique shop, there are a few but they have screw on stems and are broken. There is nothing wrong with the bowl. Just the stem. The lady wants $125 for it and I don't believe it had been smoked out of. Did I mention when I look ed into the shank there were a few small bugs?

This woman also tried to sell me a yello bole vintage for $175.

Have a good night,
  2. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

Oct 1, 2010

I think I would advise that lady - what to do with her pipes! :eek:hyeah:
    Cheers OT
  3. Mister Moo

Mister Moo Scary Cow Moderator Moderator

Jun 10, 2009
    You can post photos but, with a 96% degree of certainly, I believe you need to shop elsewhere. As a rule the only good meerschaum (or pre-AMF Sportster) is a new one. And never shop for pipes where used Yello Boles prices start over $6.00.

Never rule out a pipe with bugs. I have reclaimed some lovely smoking pipes that had some bugs and/or webs in them. :eek:hyeah:
  4. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

Mar 15, 2010
    Jomo, get a meer that's worth keeping AND smoking. Most (if not all) "cheapie" (read as "bargain priced") meers won't smoke as well. Take your time to find a good one. Don't rush....

Can't go wrong with an IMP meer.......they can be had for as little as ~$60-ish.

Ed Puff!
    Cogito ergo puff
  5. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

Feb 7, 2011
    +1 on the IMP meerschaum. As far as top quality meers go, these are the least pricey I've found.

Check with www.smokingpipes.com or check Ebay and do a search for IMP meerschaum. There's a seller there that will take offers on his stuff. Can't recall his Ebay name offhand.

Pluses and minuses... smokingpipes will charge a little more but they'll get your pipe to you faster. Kenan (the Ebay seller) will sell you the pipe for less but you'll wait a month for it to get to you from Turkey. If it comes in damaged or gets lost, you'll go through hell getting another. smokingpipes will refund/exchange in a heartbeat.

I've had success dealing with both sellers - no problems.
  6. t-bear

t-bear Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2009
    For a good quality pipe that will give you years of care-free smoking pleasure, I would strongly suggest either Sinan Altinok Meerschaums HERE, or Deniz Urals site HERE. I have a number of pipes from both vendors, and their quality and integrity are unmatched in the industry.

There are a number of "cheap meer" sites on the web today...most will sell you a pipe that will give you nothing but fits. I know, I've had a few. It's taken me a number of years to find dealers that I can trust, and These two are at the top of my list. With meerschaum pipes the old adage "You get what you pay for" is unfortunately, quite true.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.