1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Meershcaum-lined pipes?

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by Thaisamurai, Nov 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thaisamurai

Thaisamurai Member

Hi all, a question on meerschaum-lined pipes.

After reading about all the advantages of meerschaum pipes, I was wondering whether a meerschaum-lined pipe will have the same (or similar) characteristics, especially the unique ability to not "hold the ghost".

I have an English-made meerschaum-lined pipe (pics available in my "My Pipe Collection" post, My link). I'm hoping I'll be able to use it as my sampling pipe for new tobaccos if it behaves the same way as a regular meerschaum pipe. Or will I have to get another pipe?

Also, am I correct that I'm going to have to clean this one the same way as a meerschaum pipe (wiping the inside of the bowl after smoking)?

2. Tas Gunsmith

Tas Gunsmith Member

I use a Meer lined Falcon. It smokes so good I now don't use any of the other bowls. When I'm done I just wipe it out with paper towel.
    The only draw back is the size so I use it mainly for sampling and run everything through it with no problems.
    I go back to a briar when I want something bigger.
    Cheers.

3. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Hi All,

I tried a meerschaum lined Falcon many years ago - at the time I didn't take to it. It always seemed to taste of aspirin and left me with a dry mouth so I binned it.

I always put that down to it being the adhesive used to bind the meer dust to make "compressed meer." I now suspect I didn't keep it long enough as contary to popular opinion meer does need some seasoning if not breaking in and once seasoned the taste improves greatly. Can see myself revisting one of these.

On the cleaning front - wipe out with a tissue and if you notice a sticly black deposit like tartar forming on the inside, moisten a rag with whisky or other spirit and wipe it off - it'll stop it tasting bitter.

Best to all

Gerry

4. Tas Gunsmith

Tas Gunsmith Member

Good point. I find this works for briars too...

5. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Also worth doing on the underside of Falcon bowls - particularly if you've been smoking Condor in them,

In haste

Gerry

6. Thaisamurai

Thaisamurai Member

So essentially, my meerschaum-lined pipe is fine for using as a sampling pipe (a pipe with no ghosting) as long as I follow proper cleaning procedures?

7. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Hi All,

In a word - "yes!"

Best as ever

Gerry

8. Thaisamurai

Thaisamurai Member

Awesome! I was afraid I'd have to make additional investments for a meerschaum or corn cob pipe...the shipping costs to Thailand are what really drain my funds. Especially since my current salary doesn't qualify me for a credit card...

Since it seems that I have a sampling pipe, I just need more baccy to smoke it with! Oh darn, no credit card, no online purchases...

9. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

Remember, "ghosting" also comes from the shank as well, so thorough cleaning of the entire air passage is key........especially since the shank of meer-liners only line the bowl and not the shank. IMO, the meer lined briars give a great compromise of meer&briar performance. You won't get the total performance as you would get from a meer (nor a briar) but you get a good amount of the meer and briar goodness they both have to offer. Much more "rugged" than a meer, due to the briar jacket but to me, it's a compromise. A good one though.

:velho:
    Ed Puff!
    cogito ergo puff

10. Thaisamurai

Thaisamurai Member

Thanks for all the info! I'll keep the shank in mind, that was something I hadn't considered. Will give my meer-lined pipe a good clean all over before I smoke it again.

11. IrishRover

IrishRover Active Member

Hi Thaisamurai,
    I have a basic meer lined pipe. I got it off of ebay, it's an inexpensive one, no-name brand. It smokes great for me. I like to smoke burley in it. When I clean it I just wipe it out like some of the other posters mentioned...
    Cheers

12. tsgourley

tsgourley Member

Not all meer-lined pipes are created equal, but the ones that I own and have seen have pressed meerschaum liners instead of carved block meerschaum. Think particle board but with meer dust instead. There's nothing WRONG with that, per se, but it does end up being softer material so you have to take special care when you clean/ream so you don't hurt the liner. Just something to keep in mind.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.