1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Menthol?

Discussion in 'The Smoking Lounge' started by F1guy, Oct 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. F1guy

F1guy Member

As many of you know, I'm learning the pipe tobacco "do's and dont's" and so I had a question once again about tobacco:

Is there such a thing as a menthol pipe tobacco, or is this utter blasphemy among the pipe community?

I know that it's a common thing for those who smoke cigarettes, but is there a menthol on the market?

Not that I would smoke it, but as I was enjoying a good "thinking session" with my usual PA & Pride pairing tonight, the idea came to me.

2. OldSouled65

OldSouled65 Active Member

I suppose it would be possible to do it yourself, if one were set on finding one. I don't know of any though.

3. will

will Member

I am really surprised no blender has a menthol blend.
    Personally I never liked menthol cigs but they seem to sell a lot of them.
    A good portion of snuffs are mentholated as well as many snus and dip brands.
    Pipe tobacco seems to be the only one that shuns the mintyness it seems.
    Let it be known I am not thinking it would be a good thing, I am just curious as to the reasons why it does rarely exist.

4. Coda

Coda Well-Known Member

I personally would have no interest in a tobacco with a menthol additive added...it almost defeats the purpose for me.

Raffxr7 likes this.
  5. Pappy

Pappy Member

I would think that menthol would ghost, (in a very powerful way) what ever pipe it was smoked in.

user2725 likes this.
  6. F1guy

F1guy Member

How do you mean?

7. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

Altadis makes a mint pipe tobacco . But it's not a menthol .. if that makes any sense .. a minty flavor

8. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

The problem with menthol cigarettes (and I'm told the menthol is added to the paper rather than the tobacco itself) is that the menthol fully overwhelms the tobacco taste. If it could be done in pipe tobacco where it's a gentle flavoring, it might work.

Then again, I hate menthol! :D

9. F1guy

F1guy Member

Red Cap sells some menthol tobacco (not lumping it into the pipe tobacco realm here) and my grandfather used to smoke it quite a bit.

That said, I think whether it's in the paper or tobacco depends on the company. I don't regularly buy cigarettes, so I can't say for sure, but I doubt ALL companies throw it in the paper.

10. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

Probably not all but the majors supposedly do (Salem, Marlboro, etc). What I was told is that it was the easiest and most cost effective means of a consistently "menthol-y" product (and I have no direct experience with this at all). I have no doubt that there is menthol RYO tobacco.

11. Coda

Coda Well-Known Member

The menthol used in cigarettes is an additive. I dont like additives in my tobacco (granted, I am aware that PG, and other "casings" are present in pipe tobacco, but they exist as a compliment, not as a star flavor, at least in the tobaccos I like, anyway). With a menthol cigarette, you could use crap tobacco, because the menthol is going to completely overwhelm the tobacco flavor. Its just like a lot of cheap, bargain, bulk aromatics. You can call your tobacco "Chocolate Sunrise", but its still essentially dried lawn clippings sprayed with come Bosco...

When I smoked cigarettes (Pall Mall), I always said that menthol cigarettes where for people who didnt like cigarettes...

LifeOfRiley likes this.
  12. F1guy

F1guy Member

Right I see what you mean. I never did like the drags I took off a buddy's menthol because, like you said, it masks the taste of the tobacco. Not a pleasant thing.

13. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

Menthol is a naturally occuring chemical present in peppermint, and has a substantial impact on the taste of peppermint. As such, it resembles the taste of mint fairly reasonably, but it is not the same thing as tasting minty.

Mentholated pipe tobaccos generally exist only among companies selling rolling tobacco labelled as pipe tobacco in an effort to avoid the taxes they would have to pay if they openly marketed it as cigarette tobacco. These are pretty easy to find, and pretty cheap, but not good at all.

As Ruffinogold mentioned, Altadis makes a pipe tobacco with a mint (not menthol) flavoring. They call it Frosty Mint. Pipes and Cigars says there's also a chocolate flavor in there. I've never had it...but a chocolate/mint flavor doesn't sound TOO bad...but I'm still not going to try it anytime soon!

I'm pretty sure there are one or two other mint pipe tobaccos out there, but I don't know what they are if they exist. I'm pretty sure that I've never seen real pipe tobacco that was mentholated, though. In fact, that's generally a good indicator of whether or not that big bag of "value" pipe tobacco is actually pipe tobacco or not.....if it's labelled "full," "mild," and "menthol" or something like that, you know it's not for a pipe.

browny likes this.
  14. dwaugh

dwaugh Moderator Moderator

I still smoke cigarettes. Sometimes I smoke menthols. I like cigarettes. Although I wish I didn't smoke them....

15. Rewster66

Rewster66 Active Member

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

nesta likes this.
  16. Coda

Coda Well-Known Member

But you also smoke regular cigarettes. The majority of menthol smokers ive known didnt like regular cigarettes...

17. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

Rooster, I've never heard of Dark Hawk, but I'd be surprised if it was legitimate pipe tobacco :) And while I know that Smoker's Pride Black Cavendish is pretty well liked around here, I am confident they also are in the market of cigarette tobacco advertised as pipe tobacco.

I think the Greenbrier is probably the only one of them the manufacturers ever intended to be smoked in a pipe.....and Kentucky Club stopped making it!

18. Coastal Bend

Coastal Bend Get off my lawn...

Kentucky Club probably did the world a service when they ceased production. As a Christmas gift in the early 70s I got a Kentucky Club assortment of those little square-ish tins and their menthol offering was among them. I don't recall it making a very -- um -- favorable impression.

19. F1guy

F1guy Member

I havent heard of any of those brands before haha.

Though the GreenBrier seems more legit pipe tobacco than the other stuff, though this is coming from a novice.

20. 5H4N3

5H4N3 Active Member

One word...YUCK!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.