Microwave To Dry Toby?

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by ArtisanArcher, Apr 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ArtisanArcher

ArtisanArcher Member

My Fellow Pipe Smokers!

Anybody else use a microwave to dry a wet toby?

I recently got a tin of Samuel Gawith Navy Flake. The tin note was wonderful and I was stoked to put it in a pipe. I grabbed a flake out of the tin and it was way too wet to smoke. Disappointed, I let it sit for 30 min or so... talk about watching grass grow. But it wasn't enough; I simply couldn't keep it lit. Next I tried an hour and a half dry time; it still wasn't enough!

So today was a busy day. I got wrapped up in cutting down a tree in the front yard and forgot to set out a flake after supper to give it three or four hours dry time. Then it hit me!

Put it in the microwave for 15 seconds and see what happens.

I did and it was just a bit too much, but only a bit. I'm almost half way done with the bowl now and no relights! Next time, if I take it on a whim and forget to lay it out, I'll put it in for seven or eight seconds. Granted I like the idea of preparing a toby for a few hours, but for a quick fix in a pinch; suffice to say, it worked.

Happy Smoking
    Arty

2. Glenn

Glenn Active Member

Yep. Do a search we have discussed it a few times.

5 seconds works wonders. I often nuke Dark Star and other dense wet flakes.

3. Thuber88

Thuber88 Well-Known Member

For pipes.. it doesn't work as well.
    Therein lays today's search on PSF

ArtisanArcher likes this.
  4. cobbsmoker

cobbsmoker Active Member

I just put it under an incandescent desk lamp for a few minutes, works well, I have always heard that a microwave actually cooks the tobacco changing the characteristics and taste of the tobacco.

Wicker Man likes this.
  5. ArtisanArcher

ArtisanArcher Member

I suppose that makes sense to me.

6. Texhealer

Texhealer Active Member

I use the microwave as well, I wrap the flake in a paper towel then zap it for about 5 seconds, then let it cool till the paper is dry. It might "cook" the tobacco a little but what's the difference between that and " stoving" a good Va.?

I don't think it changes it enough to worry about.

7. Glenn

Glenn Active Member

I dont detect any difference in flavor vs drying under a lamp or just out on the counter unless you zap it too long. If it is sizzling popping, etc then you went way too long. Heat it briefly and give it time for the moisture to dissipate.

Try it a couple times and see. Zap it for 5 seconds and then let it sit for a bit. See if that does it. Repeat if needed.

8. Wicker Man

Wicker Man Active Member

You left it in it's tinfoil wrapper :xd: Sorry IGMC [​IMG]

ArtisanArcher and Thuber88 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.