1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Middelton Pipes?

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by cmw00, Sep 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cmw00

cmw00 Member

Anybody have much to say about them one way or another? Specifically the "Hand Tooled" line? A google search turns up one almost useless thread in the first few pages. All it's hits are about tobacco, not pipes.

2. Strongirish

Strongirish Member

They were pipes that were sold from couponsthat came in the tobacco tins. They are hit and miss. They contracted them out to a bunch of different pipemakers, some were quite nice and some were just so so.

3. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

I had a middleton " hand tooled " bulldog a few years ago and it was a pretty good standard pipe . John Middleton had a shop in philly for a long time . I've never had one of the old pipes and I can't recall ever seeing one . Here's their site . They have info on the history of the company ... http://www.johnmiddletonco.com/en/cms/Home/default.aspx

4. cmw00

cmw00 Member

The one I looked at is very nice looking and in excellent condition, not sure if I want to drop $20 on it or not though.

5. cmw00

cmw00 Member

Thats what I was looking at a bulldog. Fairly nice looking pipe and appeared to be in excellent condition.

leacha likes this.
  6. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

Mine had a reddish stain and the fit and finish was well done . I liked the size of it for an all around pipe [ walk , sit ,drive etc ]

7. morleysson

morleysson Member

The Silvay line of Middleton pipes seemed to be the most prolific, and were sold in their store. There were other lines apparently which were coupon + cash sales. All in all, they were about as good as a Weber, with a smallish bowl for the most part. They weren't any worse than most other American pipes of the 1940s-50s.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.