Middle Of The Road Smokes

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by kirbyb, Mar 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kirbyb

kirbyb Member

We have talked about our favorite and our least favorite smokes, that's easy. What does everyone do with the stuff that's just OK?

I only smoke one bowl a day, maybe two if I'm camping; so I want to really enjoy my smoke. When I try a blend and it's just OK, I tend to jar it up and bury it in my stash drawer. I will likely try it again in a year or so, typically, i get the same result. Then the stuff stays buried.

I know some guys smoke a ton, 6-10 bowls a day. The guys I have met in this group I have found to be more tollerant of middle of the road tobbacco.

Frankly, starting the box pass was my way of moving some of the tobacco I just was not going to smoke. What do you guys do with the stuff that is smokeable but your preference is for something else.

Life is too short to drink bad booze and smoke bad tobacco.

2. Wydeboi

Wydeboi Member

I've started a leavings jar.

3. kirbyb

kirbyb Member

You mean you put everything in one jar? Then what do with it?

4. GlassSculptor

GlassSculptor Active Member

I hear ya!

I give the bad beer to one neighbor and the tobacco I will probably not smoke again to another neighbor. Bourbon is something else... I've yet to find one that is undrinkable.... ;)

5. Wydeboi

Wydeboi Member

Just started it but I intend to mix it up and see what happens. I'll smoke it regardless. Waste not want not.

6. t-bear

t-bear Well-Known Member

I have a couple of them leavin's jugs...but keep the types somewhat separated. If I find a blend that I just can't stand (sweet cherry crap) or can't handle (most burleys bite me), I tend to pass them on.

I have near to 60 jars "in rotation", so as my tastes dictate, I can go to a large variety of blends. right now it's mostly Va/Va-Pers, so there are about a dozen that I frequent. Some are good for a long contemplative smoke, where I have the time and inclination to sit and savor the nuances of the tobacco...others are the all-day, no hassle blends that I can smoke on the go or in the shop without worrying about tongue bite or an overwhelming nic/flavor bomb.
    Not many that I don't like...at some time.

7. Marc

Marc Active Member

I'd trade it off with another member and try something different.

8. Whalehead King

Whalehead King Balaenius Rex!!

If I don't love it, I'll smoke half to try to get a taste for it. Sometimes it improves or grows on me, sometimes it doesn't. If it doesn't, what's left goes into a big can of ever-changing blend. I try to keep sampling from this leavings mix to keep it from overflowing. Sometimes if I've just got an ounce or so of something good, I toss that in too to keep it from being pure "mehhh." It's a nice fall back smoke but I find I have to mix the good with the mediocre. The bad just gets tossed out as a lesson learned.

9. jpberg

jpberg Moderator Moderator

I would daresay I have 40 pint size mason jars, some of them going back 15-20 years, with blends that are good enough, but not the best.
    All are labelled, and dated, and hopefully before I die they will all be empty.

I find that when I am towards the bottom of an opened tin, and I haven't figured out what to open next, I'll go to one of these for a couple of smokes, kind of like visiting an old friend. You look at the date, remember you were when you bought it, what you were doing, etc. I had a smoke of 3 nuns a couple of weeks ago that was sent to me when I was stationed in Korea in 1988. Brings back a lot of memories when you light up.

10. Deckard

Deckard Active Member

Rattray's Marlin Flake. I'm halfway through a tin now and it doesn't taste bad per say, but the sweetness I'd expect from stoved VA is conspicuously absent. All I get from it is a tangy taste at the back of my mouth and some wicked tongue bite if I'm not really, really careful. So while I can smoke an entire bowl without wanting to quit, there's nothing much to enjoy. I got the tin through a trade so no real loss there, but I definitely won't be seeking out another.

11. Oglethorpe

Oglethorpe Active Member

I just keep them. I haven't mixed anything yet but I am in the same boat as Kirby. I can only get in a bowl per day, sometimes two, so I'm still figuring out what I like a lot and I'll gravitate towards it.

So far, I'd be happy with just 1792 and Westminster for the rest of my life, but I do like HOTW every once in a while. With that said, I have a TON of tins open and I have bowls of them here and there.

My new mission is to smoke the stuff that's open before I buy anything new. I have some unopened tins and they'll stay unopened until I finish another.

Would you believe that after 6+ months of smoking pipes I have not finished an entire tin yet? I know that sounds crazy!

12. flyingace

flyingace Member

Ya never know - tastes change over time. I started out with aros and now it's English and VaPers. I can toss the aros, but maybe I'll gravitate towards them again some day.

13. Boomer-Z

Boomer-Z Member

Hello,

I am coming up on my year anniversary for pipe smoking. In the beginning I suffered TAD very badly and purchased many many different samples in the hopes of trying to find my "favorite" tobacco. I soon learned that not all tobacco's fit my palate so I didn't smoke them. I have an extra old humidor form years back so I primed it up and just tossed the seal bags into it. I agree with the post that stated "Waste not want not". So know I have a true rotation of about eight I smoke regularly and when they run out I either buy something new or replace what got finished.

Recently I have upgraded my pipe collection with better quality hand mades from some pipesmiths here in the forums and other places. It has been enjoyable going back to the old humidor to retaste those tobaccos I put to the side. With better pipes, a more seasoned palate, and better overall understanding of what makes different toabccos taste different I can safely say there isn't a tobacco I hate, but there are definite taste profiles I prefer. It falls back to some advice I got when I first joined the forum. "Sit back, relax, and enjoy." Great advice then and now.

Z

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.