Middleton Black & Mild pipe tobacco (where to buy)?

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by bubbagump, Jul 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bubbagump

bubbagump Well-Known Member

Is anyone aware of a website that sells single pouches of this stuff? Milan Tobacco sells it in six pouch lots. I'm not looking to buy six pouches of something that I'm not sure if I'll like. I tried local B&M's. Even places that sell other Middleton products do not carry and cannot (or will not) order this stuff. Thanks

2. Scottly

Scottly Member

I would give Milan a call and tell them you only want to try a pouch. maybe they will sell you just one, especially if you maybe order something else also. They claim to be customer service oriented, and I believe them.

3. bubbagump

I tried that. I was told that they only sell them in groups of six.

4. Smokey Tom

Smokey Tom Active Member

I didn't even know they sold Black & Mild as a pipe tobacco. I thought it was just a gimmic for their cigars. A good gimmic, granted, I've enjoyed a few in my day. I'll have to look into this as well.

bubbagump and Wildcat like this.
  5. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

Hey , if anyone finds a place that sells it .. see if they sell Wineberry and Royal comfort , which are also Middleton products that I haven't had in some time

Wildcat likes this.
  6. Wildcat

Wildcat Member

I was a big fan of Royal Comfort at one time. So sometime around a year plus ago, I ordered a six pack of Apple from Milan and got a six of the Royal Comfort too. :confused: Either it changed, or I did! I tried air drying, opening two pouches to compare, different pipes etc... Same results. Gave all 6 pouches away.

I really enjoy the Black and Mild cigars and always wanted to try the pipe tobacco, but I've also been reluctant as I don't want to buy 6 and find out I don't like it.

7. el guero

el guero Member

Maybe you could try and organize a group buy? If there is interest it could be a great way for six people to get the opportunity to try it with out having to make a six pouch commitment.

bubbagump and Coda like this.
  8. bubbagump

That's a good idea, in theory. If you were to combine it with a larger order, you'd get in on the free shipping. I'm not in a position to drop $100+ on a tobacco order at the moment though.

It's $7.35 just to ship these six pouches.:eek: For six pouches....$25.45 + $7.35 shipping + $1.35 tax (in-state B&M) = $34.15. $34.15 / 6 = $5.69/pouch. Then take into account that you're going to have to spend ~$1.50 shipping each pouch out (likely another $.50-.75 for an envelope). You'd be looking at almost $8/pouch.

Edit: If anyone else is interested in trying this...you might want to consider calling their customer care line and leaving a comment. The person I spoke with took down a detailed message (I could hear her fingers pecking away on the keyboard) and I left my contact information.

http://www.johnmiddletonco.com/en/cms/Contact/default.aspx?src=footer_nav

9. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

Man , the last time I smoked Wineberry or Royal Comfort , I was still in my 20's .. lol . I didn't care for them then so much but I'd be willing to get a pouch of each for giggles . If I remember right , both were over flavored to my taste

Wildcat likes this.
  10. bubbagump

Ugh....I went ahead and did it.:oops: I ordered one "unit" (six pouches). I'll crack one open and go from there. If I'm not thrilled with it, I'll put the rest in the trade section and see if anyone else might be interested. If I like it...I'll just keep all of them. After all...they're only nine ounces (combined).

jediknight129 and Wildcat like this.
  11. Wildcat

Wildcat Member

Looking forward to your review. I'm interested in hearing how it compares to the B&M cigars. Should be interesting, as a fair bit of the flavor of the cigars can come from the different tips.

bubbagump likes this.
  12. bubbagump

I'm curious to see how it is, as well. I have to admit that I found the cigars to be a bit bitey. Then again, that's likely because I liked them so much that I smoked them until there was nothing left.:xd:

Wildcat likes this.
  13. Wildcat

Wildcat Member

:ohyh:I was away on business in Atlanta a few years back. After classes, the other managers and myself would gather around the hotel pool to "study." One night, thanks to Jim Beam, I smoked an entire pack of 'em down to the wood tip... inhaled each and every one. :zom: The next day in class was not pretty. The good news is, that night around the pool I got my second wind!:banana:

bubbagump likes this.
  14. bubbagump

It's "Out for delivery.":bday: I get to work on my motorcycle and try out some more tobacco this evening (tried MacB Roll Cake and Captain Black Dark last night).:bing:

Wildcat likes this.
  15. bubbagump

Ok...I finally got to try some of this stuff.:bing: The pouch note is intoxicating. Seriously...I just wanted to gobble it up (as with Mac Baren Honey and Chocolate). It's a nice/smooth smoke that tastes and smells great. It smells and tastes like another blend that I've tried, but I can't quite put my finger on it (i.e. Lane 1Q + 'x').

Zero bite. Not one hint of it in three bowls. Think Black & Mild cigars minus the tongue torch that you get from smoking the last 1-2" of it. Why this stuff isn't available more widely is beyond me. It's better than Captain Black regular/white and that would likely be it's closest competition, as far as OTC pouches go.

I opened one pouch and crammed the other five into a large mason jar. You'll want to do this or else it'll go bad prematurely (the pouches do not have a plastic wrapper (i.e. Captain Black pouches).

If those of you that have chimed in would like a sample...let me know.

Ursa and Wildcat like this.
  16. Ursa

Ursa Member

Glad to see we have another Black & Mild fan here. I have a stash that's been in a Mason jar for about five years...and it's pure bliss. The flavor of the underlying Burley has greatly intensified over time and, despite being an aromatic, the flavor shouts "Tobacco!" to my palate. Nice!

Just wait 'til yours has aged a bit. You're going to like it even more.

Wildcat and bubbagump like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.