Middleton blends discontinued

Discussion in 'OTC Over the counter tobacco' started by Gary Lam, Jan 15, 2014.

1. Gary Lam

Gary Lam Member

I just got an email from Milan Tobacco saying some of the Middleton blends are being discontinued. Can't find out anything. Does anybody know why?
  2. Coda

Coda Active Member

That is interesting. I have seen similar reports, but have also seen Middleton Reps, as well as Middleton themselves deny the discontinuations. However, Milan and Middleton have a special relationship...so I dont know whats going on now.
  3. CACooper

CACooper Member

Greetings all,

Just got this email from Milan Tobacconists. The rumors are true. Say goodbye to some of your favorites.

Middleton Pipe Tobacco [Excludes Cigars] Customers: We were recently advised by our distributor that the John Middleton Co. has discontinued the following blends effective immediately: Cherry Blend - 12 oz. Canister; Gold & Mild - 1 1/2 oz. Pouch; Kentucky Club Continental, Mixture & Regular Blends - 12 & 14 oz. Canisters and 1 1/2 oz. Packet; Prince Albert - 1 1/2 oz. Tin Style Packet; Royal Comfort - 1 1/2 oz. Pouch; Sugar Barrel - 12 oz. Canister; Walnut - 12 oz. Canister; and Wine Berry - 1 1/2 oz. Pouch. Milan Tobacconists has been given the green light to inform our customers that a major player in the pipe tobacco industry is working on comparable blends, although a release date is not known at this time. Please feel free to contact us by email [customercare@milantobacco.com] or phone [877-70MILAN] with any questions, concerns, or if you are interested in our recommendations on potential replacement blends in the interim.

This is what happens when a cigarette company (Phillip Morris) takes over a pipe tobacco company. They just don't understand the premium/specialty side of the business. Nor do they care to. Just cigarettes and now E-cigs. They are only concerned with the bottom line, period. Sad. I knew this would happen eventually.

Hopefully the blends can be replicated faithfully, perhaps even improved.

CACooper
    browny, Smarty Jones and esteban like this.
  4. bubbagump

bubbagump Active Member

Yup. They're the only place around that sells Black & Mild. I'm not sure what the reasoning for that one is.
  5. Coda

Coda Active Member

Middleton links to Milan on their website...
  6. Ephraim

Ephraim Active Member

I've heard both sides of the story (rumors basically), and am leaning towards believing that the blends won't be discontinued. I'd be shocked if they end up discontinuing blends such as Sugar Barrel and Kentucky Club, which were two of the several mentioned.
    Jeebs likes this.
  7. Coastal Bend

Coastal Bend Get off my lawn...

browny and inkybat like this.
  8. bubbagump

bubbagump Active Member

Why only sell a pipe tobacco blend at one place when the pipe tobacco cigars are sold pretty much everywhere that tobacco can be purchased?:confused:
    browny likes this.
  9. Woody

Woody I'm working on it. Admin

Topics merged.
    browny likes this.
  10. leacha

leacha Member

I see 4noggins went "Out of Stock" on MCB already. It'd be nice to know some more details on the "Major Player".
  11. rondel65

rondel65 Mane Nobiscum Domine

Just bought a 12oz tub of Sugar Barrel last week. Shame....I do like it but it's nothing I want to stock up on. I don't think it will cellar well. I may be wrong. I'll find out though. Going to jar the bulk of this and keep a half pint jar handy for dipping into.
  12. bubbagump

bubbagump Active Member

Seeing this thread got me to dig back into the sample that another member sent me a while back. This is good stuff. Similar to CH in how it burns, but I prefer the flavor to CH. :eek:

Along the lines of what you said though...I'm not sure if this is something that I'd want to cellar. I'd like to get a hold of a single tub, but I'm not going to pay $7+ to have it shipped or drop $100 to get free shipping at the moment. Besides...I would imagine that someone will just purchase the blend rights to this and their other discontinued blends.
  13. rondel65

rondel65 Mane Nobiscum Domine

Yeah, I paid a little over $40.00 before it was all over with. 4 Noggins accepts PayPal. That made it too easy for my lazy butt not having to get up and get my CC. I'm glad I did though. I satisfied my curiosity before the real deal goes audios. I too prefer the flavor over CH but don't tell anyone.
    browny, inkybat and bubbagump like this.
  14. bubbagump

bubbagump Active Member

I just placed a small order too (~$24 with shipping). That included four ounces of the stuff, so I'll have to be content with that for the time being.

Edit: My only issue with CH and SB are how quick the bowls go. I can see why people that smoke this stuff buy it by the tub. I'm used to VaPers (i.e. C&D cakes) that give me 45+ minutes out of a moderate sized pipe.
    rigormootis, inkybat and rondel65 like this.
  15. ruffinogold

ruffinogold " It takes a Pro to smoke an Aro " [ RG] Mayor

Depressing , it is .
    browny, Wildcat and 5H4N3 like this.
  16. GlassEye

GlassEye Member

I have put off trying several of these for years thinking that I could always just get them when I felt like it, really disappointing. The Kentucky Clubs, Sugar Barrel and Walnut were pretty high on my list, looks like I won't get to try them now.
    browny and jhguthlac like this.
  17. leacha

leacha Member

I said this in another thread, either here or another board, I'm a big fan of SB and Walnut. When I first heard of the discontinuance I debated buying cases from Milan. Then I realized there's just too much tobacco blends out there to try.
    bubbagump likes this.
  18. bubbagump

bubbagump Active Member

Yup. I put two tubs in a shopping cart on 4noggins a few minutes ago and thought better of it. I have a ridiculous cellar as it is. That and as you said...there are still a LOT of blends out there that I haven't tried yet.
  19. MainePipe

MainePipe Member

I have had an open tub of SB for almost 6 months, stuff is as good as when I opened it. Just put the heavy paper insert firmly on top and make sure the tops on tight. I just bought another tub for when the current one is gone.
    browny, Jay and rondel65 like this.
  20. Coda

Coda Active Member

I plan on buying a tub of KCCB and a tub of KC Aromatic. Ive never had the Aromatic, but I reckon I might as well get the tub if its available...
    ruffinogold likes this.