Milan Tobacconist

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by GregL, Mar 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GregL

GregL Member

I'm curious, Milan seems to me to be a rather attractive option for ordering tobacco given their long heritage and selection of both tobacco and pipes but they have strangely few reviews on TR. I would be curious to hear of anyone's experience with them as well as thoughts on their house-blended tobaccos.

Cheers and thanks!
    -Greg

2. woody

woody Admin Admin

I've never ordered from them but they are a popular retailer.

3. RTOdhner

RTOdhner Well-Known Member

I've ordered from them in the past. Good service, and the prices are decent.

4. Scottly

Scottly Member

ditto ^^^

5. qwik

qwik Member

I have called and placed a order also, hope to more business with them :th1:

6. ArtisanArcher

ArtisanArcher Member

My pipe smoking friends REALLY enjoy their blends and have ordered from them a few times. I've smoked and few and they were pretty good. Black Forest is an especially wonderful blend. I've only smoked a bowl or so of some of their other blends, so I really can't comment enough as to review, but they were good.

7. Mington

Mington Well-Known Member

Hmmm...gonna have to check them out. :beck:

8. ted

ted Member

Milan is a bit more expensive, but Michael Rutherford makes up for every penny.
    They are my "go to" supplier. Great tobacconist... try Appalachian Gold..
    At Mastercraft I was fortunate to work with Ellis and Joe Milan, so I will not leave them..

ted

9. NBPipe

NBPipe Member

I smoke a blend of theirs called Wall Street which is quite good. Quality baccy for sure.

10. Jay

Jay Active Member

Good company on many levels. Recommended.

11. GregL

GregL Member

Well, I just ordered six, one ounce samples from Milan. Three aro and three non-aro (non-English). I am really looking forward to trying them, esp their Wall Street blend. From the description this could be the blend I've been looking for since I took up the pipe. In fact, I took up the pipe with a specific blend in mind, not knowing, however, what blend it was or what it consisted of but, rather, just looking for a certain rich room note that I can recall from when I was a kid.

12. Scottly

Scottly Member

I really like Doctors Order from them.

13. Jeebs

Jeebs Active Member

Never ordered from them.. but I will have to give them a try... Ted.. is this Appalachian Gold..straight Va. ?

14. GregL

GregL Member

From the Milan website:

Appalachian Gold (Aromatic) Pipe Tobacco
    Black Cavendish with considerable vanilla and hint of chocolate for taste and great room aroma. Mild with no bite.

Jeebs likes this.
  15. GregL

GregL Member

On a single-ounce basis, I would agree with you, Ted. But, I think if you order in 8oz or pound increments the price drops pretty rapidly and they are more than competitive. I like Boswell's in that per oz they are $2.70 but that price seems to hold no matter how many ounces you order. And that's for their aros. If you step up to their "top shelf" blends, you're looking at $3.95/ounce. And that's just way too rich for my blood. Sure, Milan is more expensive than the bulks but I think the step up in cost is more than made up for, as you indicated, by the step up in quality.

And I did try the App Gold. Quite good! Right now I like Wall Street better but App Gold is right behind it. Of the four I've tried thus far I would rank them: Wall Street, App Gold, Jefferson Street, Our London Dock.

I'm definitely looking forward to further investigation, however. :sh:

16. Scottly

Scottly Member

Milans Finest Kind is quite good imho.

17. BigG

BigG Member

In my experience, the folks at Milan are great to deal with. I personally highly recommend their Jefferson Street & Our London Dock blends for anyone who enjoys high quality good tasting aromatic pipe tobaccos. I've been enjoying their Sunset Rum lately & it could also become a favorite. Can't wait to try more of their blends, especially Wall Street after reading such good reports.

18. user2725

user2725 Active Member

I have ordered from them one time, but the service was good.

19. GregL

GregL Member

Just placed another order with Milan! I am a BIG fan of their Wall Street aromatic. It is actually quite complex with nice tobacco taste. The other blends I ordered are of obvious high quality but for the most part just not my bag. This time I went strong with English and non-aro blends to see what I can see.

Chartwell English Pipe Tobacco -
    Diplomat Non-Aromatic Pipe Tobacco - Hillman Non-Aromatic Pipe Tobacco - Kings Ransom English Pipe Tobacco - Rovada English Pipe Tobacco - Single Malt Aromatic Pipe Tobacco - Triple Crown English Pipe Tobacco -

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.