Mild and Subtle....that's how I like it.

Discussion in 'The Smoking Lounge' started by Fbones24, Dec 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fbones24

Fbones24 Member

Today I did more smoking than usual. I spent a lot of time in the car today and was able to smoke a few bowls. I smoked two bowls of Kendal Cream Flake and a bowl of And So To Bed.

I came to the stark realization that I definitely prefer mild, subtle tobacco blends. I don't like being bombarded with flavors. I like having to search for the flavor when I am smoking. I feel like it adds to the enjoyment.

I also know that I prefer lighter nic blends. Although the Kendal snuck up on me a little bit today, it definitely was like air compared to 1792.

Maybe my tastes and desires will change over time and every now and then I certainly will indulge, but for now, I am pretty sure I enjoy the complexity in the simplicity of certain tobaccos.

Just sharing. :bing:

2. Arkie

Arkie Active Member

Most of the Danish "aromatic" blends are very subtle. Sail, Troost, Peter Stokkeby, Amphora, Reiner, etc. They are all crumbled cake cavendish very similar in appearance and taste.

Jussto and Mount Mandolin like this.
  3. Preacher1611

Preacher1611 Active Member

I also tend to enjoy more mild baccy's, the stronger stuff is good every now and then but I like that simple, subtle, smoke.

RTOdhner likes this.
  4. Fbones24

Fbones24 Member

The more I smoke, the more I realize this to be the case. I find simple and subtle allows me to relax more. I know the flavors will find me when they are ready....if that makes any sense.

RTOdhner, TedVig, Morse and 2 others like this.
  5. Mount Mandolin

Mount Mandolin Active Member

You'd probably like Luxury Twist Flake in that case. I'm also a big fan of Skiff Mixture. Nice, mild Oriental blend.

ruffinogold and Jussto like this.
  6. Buckshot

Buckshot Member

I've always been a big fan of full strength blends. For this reason I don't have much on hand that falls into the mild category. I generally like a good "slap in the face" effect when I'm smoking my pipe but here lately I have found myself craving something on the mild side. It's normal for me to crave mild blends once in a while but this time it's a stronger craving than it usually is.

I stopped by my local B&M on the way home from work today and picked up a tin of And So To Bed. I had seen it on their self so I knew they had some in stock. It was this thread that persuaded me to stop by and grab a tin.

I've never tried it before but I'm going to as soon as I finish this bowl of Royal Yacht that I DGT'd from last night.

Fbones24 likes this.
  7. Fbones24

Fbones24 Member

Definitely report back after you try ASTB. It has become one of my favorites and I'm sorry to be the enabler in this case. I'm also jealous you can just stop into a store and pick it up that easy! :mad:

Old Codger likes this.
  8. Buckshot

Buckshot Member

Enable till your heart's content, my friend. I don't mind it one bit. :th1: As a matter of fact, thank you!
    I will spare you the agony of knowing which other Esoterica blends are in stock at my local B&M. :ohyh:

Anyway, I just finished up a bowl of ASTB in a Savinelli Prince. It has a fuller flavor than I expected and I like it quite a bit. I had just gotten the bowl charred and tamped and I was just starting to get into it when my wife called to me that supper was ready. It tasted a little different after supper than it did before. There was a certain "tang" to the blend before I ate but that tang was gone afterwards.

I am terrible at trying to describe flavors and nuances in tobacco blends so I won't even attempt to go there. I will say that I enjoyed it. The bowl on the Prince is pretty small and it didn't last much more than maybe 20 minutes total smoking time. I plan to smoke my next bowl of this blend in a larger pipe just for the heck of it.

It's a little different than I expected but it's definitely a keeper. Looking forward to getting to know this blend a little better.

Mount Mandolin and Old Codger like this.
  9. Fbones24

Fbones24 Member

This is how I felt after my first bowl of this blend. It seemed almost "mysterious."

I have only smoked it in a large Tinsky, so definitely give it a go in a different pipe.

Buckshot likes this.
  10. Jussto

Jussto Active Member

I second the Luxury Twist Flake recommendation, and would add things like MacBaren's Dark Twist or Latakia Blend, if you want sweet subtle complexity, the latter has it in spades if you're patient enough to find it!

Mount Mandolin likes this.
  11. jdto

jdto Well-Known Member

LTF is good, agreed.

ruffinogold likes this.
  12. RTOdhner

RTOdhner Well-Known Member

Exactly why I like Walnut, SWR, and MacB blends like Golden Extra, Burley London Blend, Plumcake, Scottish Mixture, and Symphony so much. OGS and Erinmore flake, also. I like how you worded it, because when I smoke these blends (which collectively account for about 85% of what I smoke) their wonderful and subtle flavors find me, and I have no need to go on a flavor hunt - I just sit back and enjoy my pipe. No deep thought or reflection required.

Fbones24 and Artistik like this.
  13. N3M0

N3M0 Active Member

I want to get my grubby lil mits on ASTB so bad. Next time I find it in stock I'm going hog wild!

14. Eric Pierson

Eric Pierson Resident Giant

ASTB and/or Tilbury in an 8 oz bag will be my next tobacco purchase once I can find it/or them. Had a 2 ounce tin and loved it. It went much too quick and now I am anxious to see how it will taste in my new meer.

Mount Mandolin and N3M0 like this.
  15. Mount Mandolin

Mount Mandolin Active Member

Tilbury is a great smoke! Highly underrated.

16. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

+3

jdto likes this.
  17. Fbones24

Fbones24 Member

Well, it's going to be a sad day. With respect to this thread, I have about one bowl left of my ASTB sample that was gifted to me by another member. I am stepping out for lunch now to enjoy it and savor its subtle deliciousness. :(

N3M0 and Eric Pierson like this.
  18. Eric Pierson

Eric Pierson Resident Giant

Bummer! I was so confident ASTB in an 8 oz would be my next order, becasue Park lane Tobacconists were showing it in stock. Unfortunately when I clicked on the item, they said it was unavailable. Bummer! On the bright side of things I did order a :poop:load of tobacco from four noggins including many John Patton samples. I've been wanting to try some of those blends for a while.

19. Waino

Waino Active Member

There are morning tobaccos, daytime tobaccos and nightcaps.

20. Fbones24

Fbones24 Member

Another mild/subtle tobacco I will add to my list is GH Bright CR Flake. I have been smoking this almost exclusively over the past week and it is wonderful. Maybe one of the mildest Vas I've smoked as far as flavor and nic go. It is no nonsense, straight forward and every once in a while the Lakeland says hello. :)

OldSouled65 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.