Mild Navy Flake?

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by natek, Feb 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. natek

natek Member

I'm interested in trying a navy flake, but I don't want to get super nauseous. Right now I have only tried CAO Moontrance and a couple house aromatics which have never made me nauseous. The only time i ever got nauseous was after smoking a strong churchill maduro cigar. Any reccomendations on a navy flake without copious amounts of vitamin N?

2. muddler

muddler Active Member

Peter Stokkeby or Macbaren. The PS is lighter than the MacB. Definitely stay away from GLP Navigator - strong enough to strip paint.

jason1977 likes this.
  3. MDaws79

MDaws79 Member

+1 on the Peter Stokkebye. Very mild, but wonderful flake.

jason1977 likes this.
  4. zippo

zippo Member

Put another vote towards Peter Stokkebye.

jason1977 likes this.
  5. D-Pap

D-Pap Member

MacBaren Navy Flake is great.

6. RevSmoke

RevSmoke Member

Peter Stokkebye Luxury Navy Flake. Good stuff!

jason1977 and WyoBob like this.
  7. capt dave

capt dave Member

PS LNF not too strong at all. BUT NO RUM.:(

8. RevSmoke

RevSmoke Member

Why does it need rum? It is great without the rum... Better, in fat.

9. capt dave

capt dave Member

it was a joke, i was asking someone earlier about a navy flake that had rum.

10. Mount Mandolin

Mount Mandolin Active Member

Another vote for Luxury Navy Flake here. Very mild, very tasty. I'm also, like pretty much everyone else, a big fan of Escudo.

That said, I still don't quite understand what makes something a "Navy flake". Is it basically just any VaPer flake, or what? It does not seem to require the inclusion of rum, and thank god for that because I can't stand tobaccos with rum in them. So yeah, the two that I named are understood to be Navy flakes, and they are both excellent.

11. Wideawake75

Wideawake75 Member

Either of those Navy flakes will do just fine for you, although you may have to make a permanent spot in your cellar, because you won't want to be without it after you try it..

Mark Dawson likes this.
  12. JuJu McMojo

JuJu McMojo Member

Rotary is my favorite.

13. Dave Dueck

Dave Dueck Member

I like Superior Navy Flake by Newminster/Villiger. Has a nice full, natural sweetness. Nothing overpowering, great flavor and very economical price.

James1956 likes this.
  14. Dave Dueck

Dave Dueck Member

BTW, for those in the know, a quick question: how does McC's tinned Navy Cavendish compare to their bulk Dark Navy Flake? Any rum in the DNF?

15. jason1977

jason1977 Active Member

Typically people flock to flake BECAUSE they want vitamin N. Try Peter Stokkebye's Luxury Navy Flake. It's mild, natural, full of flavor.....probably won't knock you back as much.

16. RevSmoke

RevSmoke Member

D-Pap likes this.
  17. D-Pap

D-Pap Member

That video is chock full of navy tobacco history!

18. jeff394

jeff394 Member

I'm a MacB Navy Flake man myself. The PS Navy Flake makes me sneeze and sneeze and sneeze. Not exactly sure why.

19. JRobert

JRobert Serious Cat Forum Guide

No one has mentioned SG Navy Flake? I don't find it high in nicotine, and I like the flavor. Unlike some of those already mentioned, it has a little Latakia, just enough to make it interesting...

jason1977 likes this.
  20. RevSmoke

RevSmoke Member

That is exactly what I thought. If it is true, then there is no present day Navy Flake that matches what sailors smoked. There were no Virginias or Burleys like there are today. Is that true? No Latakia then either? Nor any Perique? Hmm, that means any NF version we have today is different. I personally think that, according to the video, what makes it navy flake is that it was tobacco, pressed together to take up less space on board ship. Common practice was that they used sugar and water to get it to bind together. How about they stored these pressed "plugs" of tobacco in rum casks? Or, the may have used rum as the binding agent when pressing?

This is all speculation of course, but it sure is fun to speculate.

Personally, I like my Navy Flake best with Perique and no rum. Although, a NF with both Perique and rum might be an interesting thing to try. Is there such a thing?

Peace of the Lord be with you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.