Mild perique tobacco suggestions?

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by sorringowl, Nov 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sorringowl

sorringowl Purveyor of PAAD

I'm looking for any possible blends with just a touch of Perique.

For some reason, Perique, in heavy doses, seems to upset my stomach (I also can't eat really spicy foods), but, I've heard so many good reviews here about some Perique blends and I would like to expand my palate a bit.

I mainly smoke English blends but am open to any Virginia blends that are heavy on the Va and light on the Perique.

I have tried Chelsea Morning in the past and liked it (didn't mind the Perique) but can anyone here recommend any other Blends that are light on the Perique?

Thanks.

2. jpberg

jpberg Moderator Moderator

I don't know if it would fall under "mild", but GLP Telegraph Hill is one of the gentlest I've had. Maybe DMKerr can jump in, he's the one that turned me on to it.

3. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

You might try some Night Train, I sometimes add a little more to it!
    OT

4. Kiowapipe

Kiowapipe Active Member

If you're trying to develop your taste for the P-leaf, maybe get a couple ounces of blending Perique and just add a little here and there to some things you know you like? That might be a way to ease into it.

Rewster66 likes this.
  5. Ol Brokedik

Ol Brokedik Active Member

Anniversary Kake from Pipes and Cigars.

BradNTX likes this.
  6. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

Is it anything like Cake?:rolleyes:
    OT;)

7. Ol Brokedik

Ol Brokedik Active Member

It's better.

8. Kiowapipe

Kiowapipe Active Member

I think it's spelled with a 'C' on birthdays, and a 'K' on anniversaries. And if it's one of those with the white and dark layers mixed together it's a Balkan.

Ol Brokedik and Rewster66 like this.
  9. Jeebs

Jeebs Active Member

How bout some SG St. James, GH Louisana, Yea, it upsets my tummy too........

10. GlassSculptor

GlassSculptor Active Member

I think Stokkebye Luxury Navy flake is not too perique heavy. Bullseye flake is very good too.

Davidoff Medallions are most excellent.

11. user1975

user1975 Active Member

If you want just a hint of Perique, you might want to try Rattray's HOTW, it has very little Perique in it, and is an excellent smoke!

12. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

I second the recommendation for Anniversary Kake. It's sweet, figgy and very smooth, with only a touch of spice. It's my favorite VaPer, thanks to a generous PSFer that sent me a jar.

Other mild Perique blends I like are:
    Just for Him Old Toby- VaBurPer, very mild, smooth and lightly sweet
    Peter Stokkebye- Luxury Navy Flake, malty, sweet and spicy
    McClelland- St. James Woods, a hint of BBQ, a hint of sweet, and a touch of spice; very rich
    Peter Heinrich's- Curly (my #2 favorite), malty, full sweetness and oh so smooth
    Escudo- malty & sweet out of the tin; gets peppery with age & drying

I don't like the peppery Perique blends myself. The sweet & spicy ones though are so freakin' good!

13. Lestrade

Lestrade Active Member

Third Anniversary Kake.

14. sorringowl

sorringowl Purveyor of PAAD

Hmmm...Nice suggestions, guys! You got me thinking about all the possibilities. I curse you on behalf of my girlfriend, in advance. Thanks!

Some of these sound very interesting. It's funny because, foodwise, I do like (and can tolerate) some spice, like, I love Indian food, but can't do the jalapeno spice of Mexican (gives me the hiccups every time). So, I'm wondering if something more savory spicy, and less peppery spicy might work for me?

Kiowa, that's a very good suggestion about getting blending perique and adding a little to something.

Brad, also very good recommendations. It didn't occur to me that a Perique blend could be sweet and spicy. Good call.

and Mark, always wanted to try HOTW, just for the damn name! But now I know you think it's good too, well, that's just even better.

Thanks again, guys, and please, if you would like to add more to these, keep 'em comin'!

Mark w4mms likes this.
  15. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

I have to thank Sasquatch, Ol Brokedik and jpberg for turning me on to the sweet VaPers. The first VaPer I tried was a dried out sample of Escudo. It was like smoking black pepper to me. I read a few recommendations from Sas, and bought one of the ones he described as sweet. I liked it, so was open to suggestions from the other two and now I have a nice little VaPer set.

Thanks to the Tres Amigos :toast:

Mark w4mms likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.