1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.
  2. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Miniature KB&B Resto

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by Tsalagi44, Jul 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tsalagi44

Tsalagi44 Active Member

A buddy I work with gave me this pipe today. Gonna try and do a restoration on it. I know how to clean the nickel band and the acrylic stem. What do I do about the nicks in the briar on the bowl? Should I attempt to sand or fill them? I guess it depends how deep they are? I only posted two pics. Didn't wanna slam the forum with too many pics. :rolleyes:
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Beefcube and dwaugh like this.
  2. Coda

Coda Well-Known Member

Is that an acrylic, or an amber stem?...

3. Tsalagi44

Tsalagi44 Active Member

I have never seen an amber stem in person. Now that I look at it in decent light it seems to have the small cracks people describe in amber. It feels like plastic. Any way to tell the difference between amber and bakelite or acrylic? I know you can rub bakelite with a q-tip moistened in 409 cleaner and bakelite will leave a yellow smudge.

4. Coda

Coda Well-Known Member

I cant help. Most of the pipes Ive seen with that sort of band usually had an amber stem. Im sure someone helpful will be along shortly...

Tsalagi44 likes this.
  5. javajunkie

javajunkie Member

if you drop it and it shatters, it used to be amber? o)

FWIW that is a great looking snack size, and i hope your resto goes wonderfully. you going to smoke it? or have you, already?

ArmedOctopus and Tsalagi44 like this.
  6. xrundog

xrundog Active Member

Ooooh a dinky! Some guys collect those.
    A lot of those old amber colored stems are celluloid (early plastic). The fissures and cracks give it away. Some of the more opaque orange stems are pressed amber. There was an amber Bakelite too. But it's lighter and you don't see the cracks. If the dings are shallow, sanding is an option. On a well smoked pipe, the patina runs deep. But if the dings are deep, I'd clean it polish it (micromesh) and wax it. Micromesh will really bring out the patina. No staining necessary. It's old and it's okay if it looks that way. Fills look terrible on a nice quality pipe like that.

dwaugh and Tsalagi44 like this.
  7. Tsalagi44

Tsalagi44 Active Member

I haven't smoked it yet but I will. ;) Not sure if I'll keep it with my of KW's or sell it. :csmile:

8. xrundog

xrundog Active Member

I've sold a few of those on eBay. They didn't bring big money, but I did okay.

9. Tsalagi44

Tsalagi44 Active Member

Good to know. Now tell me how to get all this **** outta the stem. I'm almost outta pipe cleaners.

10. xrundog

xrundog Active Member

Put the stem in a Simple Green-water 50/50 solution. Let it soak overnight. Clean it out as best you can. Repeat as necessary. You should be able to get almost all of it out.

11. Texhealer

Texhealer Active Member

I pretty sure that's amber, I've been a big fan of KB&B and that's an old pipe, it has the "&" ampersand and IIRC they dropped that by the late '20's.

I think if it was mine I'd be sending it off to somebody.

Tsalagi44 likes this.
  12. Tsalagi44

Tsalagi44 Active Member

Wow Tex, I guessed it was a'40s pipe. Thanks everyone. Ive been redoing other pipes so I wanted to do this one too but I dont want to screw it up. Who would you send it to that is reasonable on prices?

13. Tsalagi44

Tsalagi44 Active Member

Lol. IIRC. I had to look that up.:oops:

14. Texhealer

Texhealer Active Member

I've always done my own, but with that one being so old and amber being so fragile I wouldn't want to tackle it. Somebody will chime in on who to send it to. I've heard good things about Walker briar works, but I can't vouch for anyone personally.

Thinking about it I'm going to say the "&" was gone by early 20's , I have a Kaywoodie that I know is pre 1927 and it was gone by then.

15. xrundog

xrundog Active Member

That's probably a teens pipe. I'm picky. When I send a pipe out, I rarely get exactly what I want. That's why I learned how to do stuff for myself. But Walker Briar works will do a good job if you want to go that route. I have used them for some repairs and was happy with their work. Prices are posted for services: http://www.walkerpiperepair.com/html/pipe_restoration.html

16. Tsalagi44

Tsalagi44 Active Member

Thank you xrundog. I will check them out.

17. RodneyWT1180B

RodneyWT1180B Member

In the top picture the holes in the pipe look like where fills popped out more than they look like dings. I also see what looks like a fill in the rim of the pipe in the second picture. If they are old fills, I would be inclined to re-fill the voids and touch up the finish in those areas.
    It's a sweet looking little pipe.
    Rodney

Tsalagi44 likes this.
  18. Tsalagi44

Tsalagi44 Active Member

Is oxyclean safe to use on all materials of stems?

19. xrundog

xrundog Active Member

Don't know. But I've seen what it does to rubber stems. I would not try it with a delicate material like amber or celluloid.

Tsalagi44 likes this.
  20. Texhealer

Texhealer Active Member

I don't know either, and I've used it a bunch but always on vulcanite. That's my main concern about doing it your self, if it was a vulcanite stem I'd say "have at it"

Tsalagi44 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.