1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Missouri Meerschaum sizes

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by jhe888, Nov 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jhe888

jhe888 Member

I got a Diplomat, which smokes great, but is a little small. It is hard to tell what is what size on the website. What is bigger than a Diplomat and smaller than the General?

Thanks.

2. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

I think the Freehand falls in between, but I wouldn't bet my life on it.

3. Rugbysh9

Rugbysh9 Active Member

4. Stoked

Stoked Member

I feel ya. On the MM website they say the Diplomat is larger, but I just ordered two, along with the Washington, they arrived Friday, and to my surprise and dismay, while the Diplomat is larger (bigger cob) the actual bowl size and diameter appear to be exactly the same as the Washington. One would expect the description they have on the MM site to mean that it holds more tobacco-- I've found that it doesn't.

Well, it is what it is. The only strategy I can recommend if you're hell bent on MM (like I am) is to buy more of them, and if need be, smoke two bowls out of two different pipes in a row if you really get a hankering.

As you can see from Rugs' excellent link, the differences between what MM calls "larger" and regular is minute.

5. akohtz

akohtz Member

That helped me get a better idea of sizes too. Thanks.

- Andrew

6. akohtz

akohtz Member

Why not just smoke 'em back to back in the same pipe? The other night I was reading while smoking my Legend. The book was good, the weather out back was perfect, the tobacco jar was sitting right there, and I just packed a second bowl and kept reading. Didn't seem to be an issue for the pipe.

- Andrew

7. cmw00

cmw00 Member

I was really thinking the Country Gentleman was bigger bowled than the Diplomat. The CG has a pretty good sized bowl I though.

8. tsgourley

tsgourley Member

I've noticed the same thing with the Diplomat. It's a big pipe, but a small bowl for its size. The bowl size is larger than the Legend, and I can keep my Legend burning for 45 minutes to an hour.

Speaking of which, I bit through the stem on my Legend today. It's time to break down and get a forever stem I guess!

9. user0003

user0003 Well-Known Member

Or two....

10. Stoked

Stoked Member

I just enjoy my smokes better when the pipe is very dry. As long as the cob has dried thoroughly, back to backs can be pulled off quite well, but somehow that second bowl is just never as good as the first for me.

11. WyoBob

WyoBob Member

For what it's worth (name, volume in cu. in., wt in grams):

Legend .372 36
    Diplomat #1 .403 37
    Diplomat #2 .405 43
    Diplomat #3 .380 46
    Country Gent. .518 48
    Dip #1 Natural .506 34
    Dip #2 Natural .479 40
    Freehand * .930 68

*on the Freehand, I "eyeball averaged" the diameter to .70" Not the most accurate way to measure volume.

In case of a stem breaking, I keep extra MM "Danish" stems on hand with heat shrink on the bit. The Danish stems are more comfortable to me than the factory Legend stems. They're $.25 each. After hundreds of bowls in my cobs, I've not had one problem chewing through or breaking a stem. I do have a Forever "Shorty" stem that's very comfortable and turns any of the cobs above (but the Freehand) into a great "clincher".

WyoBob

12. Stoked

Stoked Member

I wish I had this information prior to my internet order to MM last week. I'm thinking the MM site needs to be more informative... and if this info. is there, I looked for it, but never found it.

13. cmw00

cmw00 Member

What OAL do you get with the short Forever stems on the Country Gentlemen?

14. WyoBob

WyoBob Member

4.95"

WyoBob

15. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

My experience with MM's bowl sizing (inner dimensions) is "it varies"!

Doesn't help anyone who is used to briar pipe manufacturing, etc. but it's cobz, not briarz!

For me, and my "group" of cobz, the Country Gent has more volume than the Dip or any of the Danes. The Freehand, General, and CCSS have very similar inner dimensions as well.

Nice thing about cobz is you literally can do multiple reloads and it really doesn't hurt them........just give 'em a break to dry and not smoke repeatedly day after day with the same one.........unless that's the only pipe you have, then go for it and enjoy!

:velho:
    Ed Puff!
    cogito ergo puff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.