1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Mixed emotions on trip to b & m

Discussion in 'Need Pipe Smoking Advice? Ask an Old Fart!' started by sarge564, Nov 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sarge564

sarge564 Member

We were on a camping trip this past weekend and I hit a local B&M. Let me first say it was a nice clean store with various "man" things. A little corner was pipe stuff. They had basket pipes for $40, umm, pass. These were the $20 range.
    I moved to the jarred toby. Aros and burley. I took the lid off one and it smelled pretty decent and familiar. The clerk (nice guy) told me to load up my pipe, have a smoke of it to decide if I liked it. So, I did. Pretty sure it was Borkum Riff Whiskey. I went back in, he asked what I thought and I told him what it reminded me of. He laughed. I told him another smelled like Captain Black, he laughed again. He neither confirmed or denied my thoughts.
    I bought a few ounces of some other blends. Went back to the campfire and began to smoke. It gave me tongue bite! Now, I haven't experienced tongue bite in about 10 months and this stuff set my mouth on fire. It didn't seem to0 moist or too dry, just a mellow house aro. But the bite was there. I tried it again, same thing and this morning, WOW! BITE!

Questions- Do BMs jar commercial toby like BR and CB and try to pass it off??
    Do house tobys have a tendancy to give ya'll tongue bite?

2. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

Who knows what garbage leaf some bnms toss in their jars? If I don't know them or have not frequented them, I'd stick to their tinned leaf. If the clerk expert doesn't smoke a pipe or even cigars, they lose even more credibility.

Lessons learned for sure. What would have aroused my suspicions right off was the responses you got when you asked about the leaf. Obviously he has no pride in his jars. Don't go back.

Ed
    Puff

3. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

The most common bulks are actually bought as bulks from Stokkebye, McClelland, Lane, or one of the other big manufacturers. Most places will re-badge a product, so instead of a transparent label like "Bulk McClelland Full Dark English" they'll call it "Sherlock's Sure Thing" or something so that you are never quite sure what it is and go back and buy more from them.

Some of these products are better than others, and the oz of bulk "who knows" is a craps game that you win sometimes and lose sometimes.

Ol Brokedik and Mark w4mms like this.
  4. Puff The Magic

Additionally, I tend to verify with the vender what leaf it is exactly that I'm buying. If they tell me it's a proprietors blend then I ask what are the constituents or the company they use to make up this blend. If it's a sooper secret, then I usually don't buy. I'd rather know what I'm smoking! In many cases, the vender will show me the bulk bag(s) it came from. If not, then usually "no sale" is made. I don't like smoking mystery weed. :)

Ed
    Puff

5. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

One B+M I went to wouldn't tell me who made the tobacco. It was a secret. But they hadn't even bothered to change the names on the jars, so the "secret" of their Coyote Classic and Full Dark English will go to the grave with the owner, and also anyone who has ever heard of any McClelland bulks. LOL

6. TxPipesmoker

TxPipesmoker Active Member

I have gotten to the point where I mostly buy online. The B&M in town is nice to visit, and buy a tin or two. The online retailers are hard to beat when it comes to variety and price.

Max Gunner likes this.
  7. Ol Brokedik

Ol Brokedik Active Member

Hey, Sas. When was the last time you had a "sure thing?"

8. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

'bout 10 years ago and she's been "sure" ever since, OBD. She's sure I spend too much on pipes, sure I spend too much time here.... etc :)

Ol Brokedik and kreinhard like this.
  9. Smoker99

Smoker99 Active Member

Most bulk house blends are renamed Altadis, Lane etc, and most are highly processed aros, and are prone to bite.

10. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

I used to carry some Lane and PS bulks . I renamed some of them just cause I could . If I were asked which producer made them .. I'd always say who and what blend it was . The internet was just starting to be talked about , so I didnt see it as competition . I think I'd still say what it was without fear of losing a sale to the internet , because if a pipe shop is good , people will want to come there and buy stuff and shoot the breeze etc ... a good shop is hard to beat . I did make some of the blends from straight tobaccos along w/ aros . I was proud of them cause I thought they were good . I thought my " Signature ' blend was one of the better aros I've tried . I was always fond of tweaking a blend for a customer . Polishing their pipes was a favorite past time as well . If a shop goes all out on service ... the internet wont be as alluring

11. Puff The Magic

That's what I'm tawkin bout! Pride in the blend! So, uhhh would you share your Signature Blend with us or your other Ruff-Recipes to leaf nirvana?

Ed
    Puff

12. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

Golden Extra with some Mayonnaise that fell outta Ruff's sandwich at lunch, is my guess.

ruffinogold likes this.
  13. Puff The Magic

And all this time I thought it was Miracle Whipped! :D

Ed
    Puff

14. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

I wrote them down in a " journal " which was given to the new owner when i sold the shop . I cant remember the amounts , but the cool thing was I added a tin of Erinmore to the mix . The Erinmore , along w/ the other components , did the trick . I was never any good at just mixing stuff together and ... bang .. a killer blend . It always took messing with over time . I'd say in three to four years I only came up with 8 good blends . The signature was comprised of Lane BCA , RLP6 , Straight White Burley , green River kentucky and Erinmorer . It was unique in flavor and aroma , burned well and dry ... had some nic ... for an aro . It had another lane in there but i dont remember which

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.