Mixing blends

Discussion in 'The Smoking Lounge' started by sonsw87, Apr 30, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sonsw87

sonsw87 Member

So... I few days ago I mixed up few of unknown jars of tobaccos (i never label them lol) together cause there werent that much left in those jars and they came out really good! Has anyone done this before? Anyone know of good combinations?

fishnbanjo likes this.
  2. LifeOfRiley

LifeOfRiley Active Member

I've tried combining tobaccos exactly three times:

1) Two burleys: McCranie's Old Master (rebranded McClelland X-10) with C&D Crooner. Worked out beautifully. Will buy and re-blend more and keep some around.
    2) Prince Albert with a goopy Vanilla Black Cavendish aromatic. Revolting.
    3) A parfait that started with Mac Baren Va. #1, which was supposed to dry out the McClelland 2035 underneath, which I like but is a pain to keep lit. Didn't work out that way. It was still a pain to keep lit, but the whole thing tasted ok.

You might have better luck if you begin by blending a straightforward tobacco with a more complex one (or other simple ones). McClelland #5100 would probably be a good one to start with., as would the McClelland X-10 mentioned above if you want a burley-based. I'd think you could add these to any number of blends and get an interesting result.

fishnbanjo, dBear and bubbagump like this.
  3. mongo

mongo Active Member

Yup... I did it with startling success. I have two bulk blends that alone... didn't do much for me. I got a little froggy one day and mixed them up 50:50 and lo and behold.... the sum exceeded the parts! I'm quite pleased that I did that...

fishnbanjo and dBear like this.
  4. fishnbanjo

fishnbanjo Active Member

Been discussing several here of late, first was 2/3 bowl of Plum Cake and 1/3 bowl of Anniversary Kake. Next came 2/3 Plum Cake and 1/3 AJ's Vapers, then 2/3 AJ's with 1/3 Anni Kake, 2/3 Reverie and 1/3 Anni Kake and rekamepip I believe has Plum Cake and Anni Kake reversed but I'm not positive, all that I've tried are excellent to me.

dBear likes this.
  5. Omar Serrato

Omar Serrato Member

Recently stumbled on a fantastic blend....1/3 Tinderbox Cherry Almond, 1/3 Larry's Blend, 1/3 PS 84 Turkish

The Cherry flavor is very subtle in the background and gives the predominant Larry's english overtones the perfect sweetness. Turkish aids in the burn and adds a little spiciness. A fantastic blend.

ruffinogold, fishnbanjo and dBear like this.
  6. ArmedOctopus

ArmedOctopus Active Member

Been wanting to try a cherry and vanilla. Or a chocolate and cherry.

ruffinogold and fishnbanjo like this.
  7. bubbagump

bubbagump Well-Known Member

Yup. Give each of them a sniff and go from there. As LifeOfRiley said...I started with something straightforward (CH) at 60% and added two blends to it. I did 30% Kentucky dark fired and 10% Perique. I would say to start even lower than that (on the blenders) though. If you start out with too much (i.e. I went overboard with the Perique on the last batch), it can ruin it.

8. MDaws79

MDaws79 Member

Bob's Chocolate Flake and Nightcap mixed 50/50. Amazing, makes the chocolate pop more. Thanks to WalkinStick this is now referred to as MD mix.

9. dBear

dBear Active Member

+1 on the MD Mix. I have the same experience, that the Nightcap brings out (or points your attention to, at least) the chocolate flavors in the Bob's.

The only other mix I've tried that I really thought was an improvement is about 2/3 Top Black Cherry with about 1/3 Latakia.

Wait, there's one more that almost everybody seems to like, and that's a catch-all mix of the spillovers, the remnants, the scrag ends of all the different tobaccos they've been smoking. Everybody calls theirs something different, but I've noticed a lot of folks comment on how well they like their random mix. I sure like mine!

fishnbanjo and MDaws79 like this.
  10. sonsw87

sonsw87 Member

Mmmmm they all sound so GOOD! How about this.. has anyone filled a bowl half n half? Like fill bottom half with one tobacco and fill the top with other. What do you guys think? or If someone's done that before how was it?

dBear likes this.
  11. dBear

dBear Active Member

Oh yeah, that's an excellent thing to do! Actually that's what FishNBanjo was talking about earlier - He layers it in the pipe rather than mixing it like a blend. He likes to call that one Angel Of The Morning. If you hang out in the What Are You Smoking? thread you'll see quite a few combinations. Old Codger is another guy who likes to do that a lot. I've only made a "parfait" a few times, but it's really neat as the flavor changes from one tobacco to the next.

sonsw87 and fishnbanjo like this.
  12. Steve IoM

Steve IoM Member

I've managed to blend a few tobaccos I didn't like together to produce a reasonable result. I've also played around mixing a bit of black cherry or Ashton Guilty Pleasure / Rainy Day in with some Puncbowle. The resulting blend I've labelled FruitPunch is one of my more successful experiments!

dBear and fishnbanjo like this.
  13. buistd

buistd Sales Account

Cherry with latakia should be awful but it's really good. My local B&M do a house blend of SG cherry, black cav and latakia. It is phenomenal.

On another note, CH blended 50:50 with 5100 is a great combo, and serves as a great base for adding other types of leaf. I have a blend I made up with the CH/5100 mix, cigar leaf and perique which is a particular favourite of my little Mediterranean friend.

Mister Moo and dBear like this.
  14. craig

craig Active Member

Alsbo gold and gawith hoggarth cherry and vanilla is absolutely fantastic

dBear likes this.
  15. JoeSmall

JoeSmall Member

I had a bit of carter hall left and a bit of house English blend left and threw them in the same bag and shook hell out of em. Not very sophisticated but I'm cheap and don't like to bin things. It turned out exactly as I suspected it would. From reading this thread I'm guessing I'm not the only cheap bastid that does things like this.

dBear likes this.
  16. Mister Moo

Mister Moo Normal Cow Moderator Moderator

+1. Try keeping a half-pound of 5100 around. It'll blend with almost anything; it also blends with something that has gone boring and, often, makes it interesting again.

dBear likes this.
  17. Texhealer

Texhealer Active Member

I've tried blending a few with little success, and a couple of outright failures. One that did work tho was 2 parts pirate Kake and 3 parts Carter Hall. Made a nice English/ Burley blend.

I called it Pirate Carter. :)

ArmedOctopus likes this.
  18. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

Try PA Cherry Vanilla .. it's fantastic and the aro flavoring isn't over done . It burns and lights very nicely as well . ........... http://wvsmokeshop.com/princealbert.aspx

Robin likes this.
  19. User3940

User3940 Active Member

Carter Hall and Altadis Mint........................you bet. :ohyh:

20. highstump

highstump Active Member

I have a 50/50 mix of PA and 5100 that works well for me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.