1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Mixing things up a bit, change of pace, adding a little variety...

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Raffxr7, Mar 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Raffxr7

Raffxr7 Active Member

When you want a change of pace, what do you do? I´ve been burning a lot of Va/VaPer blends lately, and don´t know what to reach for next.

afiaowo and Texhealer like this.
  2. Wicker Man

Wicker Man Active Member

3. Tate

Tate Member

Try some SG or G&H blends that still have a lot of VA in them but have some pretty interesting different flavor profiles.

Raffxr7 likes this.
  4. Mington

Mington Well-Known Member

I go in different streaks:
    Navy streaks,
    SG streaks
    OTC streaks
    Lat streaks
    VaPer streaks
    VA streaks,
    Aro streaks, etc.

5. Wicker Man

Wicker Man Active Member

are these like undercracker skid marks :cfsd:
    sorry [​IMG]

MikeInMaine, YAPPG, Mington and 2 others like this.
  6. Raffxr7

Raffxr7 Active Member

I discovered that SG blends are not yet what my taste buds call for... I can´t seem to get their drying process down and I really dislike paying for added water in a product I pay for by the gram.

Perhaps I should do a quick inventory of my cellar... I have a good variety for a budget cellar... (I think, anyways)
    Typically each of these will be 2-4 oz, in a half pint mason jar. I wanted variety more than quantity of each type, since I had not cellared anything before October 2012.

Dunhill EMP
    Dunhill Nightcap
    C&D Pirate Kake
    3 flakes of St Bruno
    G&H maple twist (hoping to get rid of this)
    MacBaren VA Flake
    Sutliff No 5 (darn close to EMP)
    Frog Cellar
    Frog Bayou
    MacB Plumcake
    Escudo
    Peterson Irisk Oak
    SG Navy Flake
    PS LNF (~3oz)
    PS LTF (~.5oz, next order refills this)
    PS LBF (lots of it)
    Newminster Superior Navy Flake
    Prince Albert
    SWR
    SWRA
    CH
    Smokers Pride Black Cavendish
    SP Cherry Cav
    SP Vanilla Cav
    Sutliff Molto Dolce
    (a few jars of lane aromatics that I will eventually get rid of, but wont smoke)
    SG FVF
    Peterson Irish Flake
    Erinmore Flake
    Balkan Sasieni

7. Texhealer

Texhealer Active Member

Probably no help, but when I get like that I have a cigar.

Raffxr7 and Thuber88 like this.
  8. 5H4N3

5H4N3 Active Member

I'm thinking a 50/50 mix of mixture 79 and menthol ryo tobacco, is just what the DR. ordered.
    :ohyh:

9. ruralhipster

ruralhipster Member

What is the lime sorbet of tobaccos anyways? I suggest a lakeland or perhaps an aromatic Latakia blend like Sillems Black. When I get burnt out on what I've been smoking I usually end up smoking an OTC like Middletons Cherry Blend or A "Danish" tobacco like MacBaren Club Blend or Dark Twist.

Raffxr7 and Old Codger like this.
  10. YAPPG

YAPPG Active Member

Just close your eyes and reach out among your stash and grab something. Since you have tried them all you surely will grab something you like. Or grab something that you feel comfortable with, that's what I do.Then again, I just bounce between lats and va's. Well maybe that's where TAD comes in.

Raffxr7 likes this.
  11. Raffxr7

Raffxr7 Active Member

Now THAT is an idea.... I have entirely neglected my stash of cigars (nothing fancy, but it has been four months since I last cracked it...)

M79 Menthol.... the new blend to bring pipe smoking back. Kind of like how great grandma brought sexy back.

I omitted 1792... is that considered a lakeland, or just an oddball?

My odds are finally against grabbing an aromatic I don´t like... great idea!

So far, the list includes:
    1792, Erinmore Flake, Irish Oak, random stogie

First I am going to rule out the chances of allergies/sinus issues flaring up. Everything tasted like water yesterday, even BBQ sauce and a roast, and also my tobacco. If DH EMP tastes right in the morning, I´ll see about mixing things up after that. Thank you for the suggestions fellows!

YAPPG likes this.
  12. Raffxr7

Raffxr7 Active Member

Note: Closest to Middletons Cherry is my SP cherry cavendish, which has been described as cherrier tasting by at least one person. I had been debating a bowl of that, too... Since I blew my PAD budget on TAD this month, I am trying hard to find something in my ¨cellar¨ that will work.

ruralhipster and YAPPG like this.
  13. ccwco

ccwco Member

PM me your address. I think I may have the cure.
    Its a house blend from a b&m in my area, Its a PS blend that I think they add more Latakia to.
    It will make you beg for forgiveness.... in a good way;)

But seriously, I'll send an ounce.

KarlMaldenNose, Raffxr7 and 5H4N3 like this.
  14. Russell Hartman

Russell Hartman Stay Silver

5H4N3 said: :xd::laff::laff::haha:
    I'm thinking a 50/50 mix of mixture 79 and menthol ryo tobacco, is just what the DR. ordered.
    :ohyh:
    M79 Menthol.... the new blend to bring pipe smoking back. Kind of like how great grandma brought sexy back.
    OH MY GAWD-----------

15. Russell Hartman

Russell Hartman Stay Silver

On a serious note I go through these same stages. I usually always smoke Virginias, or a Latakia blend. Now, and again I will smoke aromatics usually from Boswell's. Recently at my local B&M he had a tin of McClellands Premium Aromatic--"peach"---I looked at the tin--paid for it, and cracked it open. WHY????-----I have no idea--just something new I guess. It isn't to darn bad at all. I can say its been a real change of pace from the stuff I usually go for, but figured--How do I know if the stuff is something I would try again if I never both to try it in the first place?

Raffxr7 likes this.
  16. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

I'll second the Irish Oak. I love it enough to have dedicated a Pete XL14 to it. I don't smoke it every week, but when I want something different, it hits the spot.

Raffxr7 likes this.
  17. Raffxr7

Raffxr7 Active Member

Sadly, the sherry taste of irish oak reminds me of a trio of bottles I have... I cannot call them sherry anymore, as they turned to vinegar sometime between ~1962 and last year, when one developed a leak (rotted cork)... on my book case. The mixture of old books and bad sherry (the shape of the bottles was pretty neat, and unbroken tax stamps add ...character) gave a pretty strong sensory attachment to not-so-fun times. Because of that, I use irish oak sparingly. It tastes great, but it just won´t work as a daily go to for me. Oddly enough, I picked it up to change the pace of LTF LNF and LBF I had a few months back. I believe I read how much you liked it, actually.

The good news... my taste buds are back. A few bad days of allergies had muted everything, but I still plan on taking a course diversion. I managed to get enough in my cellar to rotate around without getting too bored, and still have new tins in there to crack open. If I can stay ahead of the curve, I may be able to hold out for better prices on my favorites, and on new blends.

BradNTX likes this.
  18. afiaowo

afiaowo Member

Knowing a little about what you like through trades I would recommend a burley/perique. C&D Bayou Night will satisfy your need for mouth feel, nicotine and complexity. Make sure to let this blend dry out. The tin I purchased was very wet and didn't present itself well without extensive drying.

Raffxr7 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.