1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.
  2. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

MM CG + JFH STM

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by Stonewall, Mar 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stonewall

Stonewall Active Member

I am about to load up an MM CG with Shortcut to Mushrooms. I've never smoked this pipe yet, so I thought I'd dedicate it to this blend to get the best first impression of STM.

Has anyone smoked this blend from a cob before? Cobs are usually best with flakes or Burley blends, so I'm told. I'd hate to mix-match the two and spoil the experience as well as a new cob.

Any thoughts?

2. Ozark Nick

Ozark Nick Member

Well, just keep in mind that new cobs often taste a little funky. So give it several good smokes (5-10) before you pass judgement on either the pipe or the baccy!

Hawkwood and Stonewall like this.
  3. TRAVIS

TRAVIS Member

I've smoked it in a cob didn't notice much difference to smoking it in a briar the cobs got no ghost in it that i can tell anyway, enjoy.

Rodfather and Stonewall like this.
  4. Lestrade

Lestrade Active Member

STM is great in a Cob, Clay, Briar or Meer.:puffy:

FlatbushPaul and Stonewall like this.
  5. Stonewall

Stonewall Active Member

Well, considering the STM was shipped in a cardboard envelope and I could smell it as soon as I took it out of the mailbox, and the fact that it has my man-cave room in the basement completely smelling of it even after I packed it into a mason jar, and that I smoked a half bowl on the way to work and still smell it on my clothes, I'm glad I decided to smoke it in a Brooks #599 Poker that only had a half bowl of flake smoked in it for break-in.

I appreciate the feedback, but I'm holding out on that cob for something in the flake department. :puffy:

6. TRAVIS

TRAVIS Member

Yeah it overpowered my delivery when i first had some shipped over. I usualy add a little black cavendish to mine.

Stonewall likes this.
  7. Stonewall

Stonewall Active Member

I was a little surprised to see it in an envelope rather than a box; but the packages weren't ruptured or opened. By the initial smell I thought I'd have tobacco loose in the envelope.

One thing I can say for JFH, they are generous in their weights on bulk tobacco sales. Thats good customer service, imo. I wish now I'd ordered some Penzance from them when they had it recently. All gone, now.

TRAVIS likes this.
  8. FlatbushPaul

FlatbushPaul Cellar is in an undisclosed Bunker

You got it right! it's great in any pipe!

Paul

Stonewall likes this.
  9. t-bear

t-bear Well-Known Member

My mail carrier tells me that he can usually tell when I get a new tobacco shipment...the post office smells wonderful! LOL

Stonewall and Rewster66 like this.
  10. TRAVIS

TRAVIS Member

mine was sent privately from one of my facebook pipeclub mates about 6 different tobaccos each in thick plastic zip locks all 6 smelled like the shortcut or and ruins for the first day or 2 settled down after though.

Stonewall likes this.
  11. Stonewall

Stonewall Active Member

I am so tempted to try Ruins. Does it compare to anything else I might be familiar with?

12. TRAVIS

TRAVIS Member

I don't know if anyone agrees with me but i found the Ruins and shortcut pretty similar i hadn't tried any tobacco at all similar to either before. I think i was overwhelmed by that already smoked smell in the pouch i didn't realy enjoy the ruins that much. Spent about 18 months of my 2 years pipe smoking on a few basic OTC's *(Amphora and Borkum Riff's) so these types of tobaccos are completely new to me. Just realised a couple of months ago that i could get a few orders through the post from the states and mainly run with the Tobacco Barn at the moment.

Stonewall likes this.
  13. Stonewall

Stonewall Active Member

Well, that's kind of the dilemma I'm in at present. My palate isn't that sophisticated. I started out with Amphora (which I still love) and then to aros. It was just since finding this forum that I branched out from OTC's and sweet aromatics, albeit I have become quite fond of flakes and English blends; but when I'm smoking I try to determine what I'm tasting other than the obvious casing notes. I read about how complex a certain tobacco is or how it changes from light to mid-bowl and then to finish. I hope this comes with time and experience as I really look forward to that developement I read so many others experience when smoking.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.