1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

MM Cobs..

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by Bullwinkle, Jan 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Active Member

is there a downside to using something like this to ream a cob?

[​IMG]

2. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Hi All,

Haven't seen one of those before. Do wonder if it might be a little harsh. So far I have to say I've managed just fine dry reaming with scrunched up tissue.

Best to all

Gerry

3. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Active Member

it's actually a battery cable clamp cleaner (wire brush).. but fits my Country Gentlemen cobs prefectly. I thought with cobs you were suppose to keep the cake to a minimum?

4. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

If you try it, let us know how it works. I'd be a little concerned that it may to harsh like Gerry indicated, but part would depend on how much you twisted it. I'd also avoid using it if you've ever used it to actually clean a battery cable end. Don't think I'd want metal bits and battery corrosion particles mixed in my pipe (you probably already knew that).

5. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

If you're gonna ream a cob, a regular reamer would be best. If you don't have one, a pipe-nail works well to strip the cake. If you wish to use the steel brush, that's up to you............but i'd rather use a knife before i'd use a brush. That's me.

:velho:
    Ed Puff!
    Cogito ergo puff

6. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

If you use that...light, and I mean light, outer pressure to the walls of your pipe(s). I am a Gerry 'tissue' proponent myself, so I'm actually guessing. (Still think stiff wire>cob wall.)

7. cmw00

cmw00 Member

I've thought about tring to scrub them out with something like a .40cal bore brush before. Just never done it. What I do every so often, is to just scrub the inner walls of the bowls with bristled cleaners soaked in alcohol.

8. Pecci

Pecci Active Member

I use paper hand towels. I scrunch & twist to fit snugly, and then stuff it in the chamber and turn. I do this twice, with a clean dry paper towel. These towels I buy at the grocery store are cheap thick and even textured. They do a great job, and are no threat to damaging the chamber walls.

9. angrytruckingguy

angrytruckingguy Member

I wouldn't. The ones that are plastered or lacquered may seem pretty durable, but my natural reminds me that it is only a fairly light and weak corncob. Then again it is only a corn cob, avg. price less than $5 new, so go for it. Careful with the bottom though, the MM's Achilles' heel.

10. gyrostatic

gyrostatic Member

Yeah, I wouldn't take a wire brush to a cob... I mean, the wire brush is made of metal. The pipe is made of corn. I don't see the pipe winning out in that fight.

Kiowapipe likes this.
  11. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Active Member

Well, I used it (it was a brand new one) on a couple of MM Country Gentlemen and had to problems. Fits snug and a couple of turns took the cake to very thin. I didn't actually get into the cob itself. While I was at it I roughed the shank? and worked a little black marker into it and now it matches the bowl. of course YMMV

12. Mington

Mington Well-Known Member

+1 on dat! :cheers:

13. uncleburl

uncleburl Member

Picture please!!! :0)

14. gunsmoke

gunsmoke Member

I have to tend to agree on that one. Gerry said it best i think. If i use a wadded up paper towel it works just fine. But what the hell a cob is about an 8$ investmet. Do whatever maks you happy :punk:

15. Llynn

Llynn Member

I have never thought that cobs (and alternative wood pipes like cherry and maple) actually build a cake in the sense that briar does. Instead, cobs actually char - so when you ream a cob, you are removing burnt corncob, not accumulated cake. As do others, when I absolutely feel I must attend to a cob's interior I use a paper towel. Usually though, I just leave them be and smoke them.

16. doc_jude

doc_jude Member

I agree, if you clean your cob after each smoke there won't be much if any carbon build up.
    I use paper towels or maybe a Ream-n-Klean bristled pipe cleaner folded double.
    I've never needed anything more than that, the wire brush may be a little much.

17. loosechange

loosechange Member

I've always used wadded up newspaper to clean my cob's and pipes and no matter where you go, you can always find a newspaper of some sort.

LC

18. Mister Moo

Mister Moo Normal Cow Moderator Moderator

and newsprint is certainly easier to twist into a pipe bowl than is a smartphone, iPad or Kindle. :thumbsu:

19. WyoBob

WyoBob Member

Cobs will develop cake. I spent 35 days on a well job in Montana this summer and took 3 cobs with me. The job was only supposed to be two weeks at the most. Due to slow drilling and break downs, I had a lot of time to smoke and read. In fact, I ran out of tobacco and my wife sent me more, twice. By the time I was finished with the job, all three cobs had caked up pretty well to where you could tell the bowl diameter had gotten smaller. I probably smoked 8-10 bowls per day. I reamed them when I got home---wood dowl wrapped with sandpaper on my drill press.

WyoBob

20. CornCobAvery

CornCobAvery Member

I've not felt the need to clean my cobs -- as of yet. Maybe it has something to do with the type tobacco one uses. I tend to smoke pretty dry tobaccos and don't seem to have much build-up if any. The sides are blackened but haven't noticed any impact on the flavor of the tobacco. I have cleaned the inside of the bowl with my pipe knife a few times but didn't notice much removed. Overall though, the Pride seems to be pretty simple -- smoke it and enjoy it :thumb:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.