1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.
  2. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

MM Freehand stem "goes places"

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by Puff The Magic, Jun 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

The other day, one of my CCSS Freehands went swimming in some foul water, it was hopeless so (as in the beauty of most any cob), I tossed it. I don't like throwing things away but this was BAD. The stem, otoh, was washable and ok. The pipe couldn't be washed to my satisfaction (would have let it dry out in the sun and then re-glued if needed).

Anyway, I took a brand new G-Dane Egg (bent) and took the Freehand stem and decided that I was gonna make a nice MM Vulcanite Freehand stem for my new GD-Egg! It was EASY! Just shaved down the stem to form the right sized tenon and it's AMAZING! Nice wide bit, vulcanite comfort, I actually have a "jones" to do the same to all my bent-filtered-cobs. Sure glad I didn't throw that stem out. I guess something good had to come from the Freehand loss.

Just thought I'd share my little "improvement". If you have a Freehand stem that you aren't using, give it a try, I believe you'll say to yourself, "why didn't I do this before?".

2. Legend

Legend Member

That is a cool thought for those who are looking to dress up their cobs. I believe you can get spare Freehand stems from the Factory for five dollars or so. Glad something good came out of that for you.

3. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Hi,

A great idea - I have one of the Freehands and I love it particulary the stem which as you say is quite wide and comfortable in use. I've replaced the basic amber stems on all my Legends with the black stems as used on the Diplomats and that helps greatly too - that's the beauty of cobs, it doesn't cost a lot to experiment

Happy smoking

Gerry

4. Unforgivin

Unforgivin Active Member

Aren't they amazing? The things you can do with them with little to no experience.

They remeind me a lot of my daughter's generic "Barbie" dolls. Instead of changing outfits she'd just rip the head off one and pop it right on another! Damn things fit like they were made for it.

5. Puff The Magic

Yupper! If "elmo's" glue can't fix-it, toss it! errrruuhh something like that!

6. Puff The Magic

So far, I've made modded MM Freehand stems to fit 2 Generals (bent & straight), 2 Danes (Egg & Spool) and a Diplomat. The stem is $4 and the sandpaper was "house stock" :bow:

Only takes about 30 minutes per stem and it gets a custom fit to the bowl I'm mating it to. Of course it transfers fairly easily to other "filtered" MM bowls. I like it and yes, I'm still a big proponent of Walker's Forever Stems too. They're AWSUM! I don't feel my "modded" freehand stems are anywhere in the same league as the Forever Stem (vulcanite or lucite), but for $4 and a little time, it makes onehelluva nice "enhancement" to an already existing great smoker.

:wave:
    Ed Puff!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.