1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

MM Miniature

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by Whalehead King, Jul 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Whalehead King

Whalehead King Balaenius Rex!!

We were in a souvenir stand in Gulfport, MS when my wife came across the store to hand me an MM Miniature. The thing was a little over two inches long and had a bowl the size of a thimble. MM says they are ideal for a short smoke or party favors. Haw-haw! We're havin' us an Ozark redneck party!

While I get the joke factor of this tiny thing, I got to wondering if anyone uses this to actually smoke tobacco. It would certainly provide the shortest smoke on record but it's so short I thought it would burn my nose. I didn't buy one and it's not on my list but does anyone have any experience?

Thoughts? I applaud MM for not wasting the littlest bit of cob but I can't imagine this being good for anything except a wedding favor, gag gift or keychain.

2. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

Hell YES! King, those little pipers are cute but 100% fully functional and smoke very well. You can't lose your focus but it's only for a short time. Both of mine smoke like champs! ~15 min smoke. I've got one completely stock. The other I have mated to a Walker Bros Forever Churchwarden and it's the coolest little short smokin' CW on the planet! I dig 'em. Try 'em before ya knock 'em! I understand many are sold for the "other leaf" use (usually with screens) but forego the damned screen and load her up with your finest and enjoy a "quickie". Everybody likes a "quickie" now and again!

Give the little peep a "go"! If you're Man enuff!

:velho:

Ed Puff!

3. outbackblackjack

outbackblackjack New Member

I own several of the mini MM's and found that them and any cheap MM's without the wooden bottom last better if you drill them out and go to your nearest hardware store and get some wooden plugs or buttons WOOD BUTTONS & WOOD PLUGS and glue them into the bottom making them like the better quality MM pipes. I also have several of the MM ozark in full & mini sizes and they smoke like champs also. The mini work great for quick smokes, traveling, and really well for sampling tobaccos.

4. Puff The Magic

Sure, they look like Toys but they aren't!

:thumbsu:

Ed Puff!

5. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Hi All,

Me too -I have one n natural finish and it lives in the car for when I'm having a long drive - don't smoke in the car so it's ideal for a short smoke when I nip out with a cup of tea when travelling,

Best to all

Gerry

6. WillH

WillH Active Member

This is not a slam on the mini cobs! Just a funny story.

I was looking at the mini cobs and thought I'd give one a try! Well, I ordered three.

I did my thing to one of the cobs, just the usual, setting up a bed and such. They are tiny ya know! I mean really small. When the pipe was ready to go I fired the little pipe up and started smoking. Half way through I noticed it was getting a little warn to the touch and a dark spot was appearing on the side. I kept smoking away! Fat, dumb and happy........

There was a flair of smoke and ash and the next thing the entire side of the pipe started to slowly burn away before my very eyes. I quickly ran to a bird bath in the yard and tossed the pipe in. There it was gently floating the bird bath, my wonderful mini cob - smoldering!

I sent the rest to John Payton and that was that! :thumbsu:

Will

7. Puff The Magic

Will, ya sent that one into Fire & Brimstone! Did the birdies take up pipe smoking? :music_band:

Good story but due to the smallness of its dimensions, puffs need to be somewhat smaller too me thinks.

:dunno:
    Ed Puff!

8. user0003

user0003 Well-Known Member

Maybe it was your weed choice?!?!?.... :thumb: :xd:

9. WillH

WillH Active Member

This is no bull - it actually happened.

I fished the pipe outta the bird bath and put it on the patio table. The next day it was gone? I was driving down a jeep trail on the ranch and noticed something in the road. Stopped, and guess what? There was the pipe! All I can figure is a crow snatched it off the table a flew away with it. I was nearly a mile from the house.

Will

10. Unforgivin

Unforgivin Active Member

Ya just can't trust them damn crows with nutthin! :thumb:

11. WillH

WillH Active Member

They're not a stupid bird by any means. They lay Walnuts in the road so I have to drive over them. Then they come along and pick out the nut meat from the broke nuts! Pretty good for a wild bird with no education. Problem solving 101!

Would that be considered Walnut road kill?

Will

12. Whalehead King

Great story! I've read about crows smoking cigar butts. The mini would be just the right size for a pipe smoking crow. They're not stupid.

13. Whalehead King

I remember you married the mini bowl to a churchwarden stem but I didn't realize how tiny it was until I saw it in person. As I think I said before, nice experiment. I can see it with a long stem but that shorty MM provides...I still don't know despite the testimony above.

Thanks all!

14. Whalehead King

Good advice. I'm not going to splurge on a handful of minis yet but I appreciate the Ozark review. I've got my eye on those. Thanks. If you want to start a thread on the Ozark, I'd be much obliged to learn a bit more before I plunk down the money. I've gotten as far as putting them in my MM cart then changed my mind for more pressing matters.

WK

15. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

Late to the party, but...

I mentioned elsewhere here that I have several of the mini's as well. I agree with you, a 'plug' will be needed to make them usable. I have only smoked one of them, and by bowl's end, the bottom was tissue paper thin...I added a applewood 'plug' made from the tree out back. Works fine.

These, and my (now) two mini-meers are perfect short smoke champions. YMMV.

16. Puff The Magic

The Ozark "minis" have solid wood bottoms btw. I smoke a "mini" on occasion with the tiny stem that's OEM. Gotta be careful on the lighting so I don't flame the tip of my nose! :velho: but it smokes well and as long as I puff lightly, all goes well with these short, diminutive smokes. It's an awesome "short smoke" mated to a churchwarden stem or any stem longer than the OEM MM Mini-stem. Unfortunately, the "Mini's" of current production have the smallest tenon-mortise set up I've seen on MM's and won't accommodate a Forever Stem (unfiltered) unless you took the tenon down quite a ways. Look for the Mini's of older production that have the same sized setup as the Unfiltered MM products. Those mate up nicely with Forevers of the unfiltered ilk.

Ed Puff!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.