1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

MM OzarK Mountain pipes

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by whitebriar, Jul 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. whitebriar

whitebriar Member

i may have missed it, but am wondering what the consensus of opinion is on MM ozark mountain pipes--fired up my "cherry" finish pipe for the first time this morning--pleasant surprise--not as cool as a cob, but acceptable--dry smoke--seemed to me that the wood seemed to impart a slight sweet taste to the smoke--just a trace--

also wonder what wood is used in these pipes??--they say cherry 'finish', but the pipe seemed pretty light for cherry wood--

not bad for under $5--

2. commonsenseman

commonsenseman Member

I have one of the maple ozark pipes. I like it, but it took quite a few bowls to get the stain burned out. It tasted absolutely terrible for the a while, enough to almost make me give up. They smoke great though, and for the price you sure can't beat them.

3. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

I like the Ozarks, even the mini's. I think they're made of maple. Yes, I do get a sort of sweet flavor from the bowl.....sort of interesting and pleasant. Dry, but as you say, not as cool as a cob and certainly not as "cool" as a cob :groucho:

I enjoy mine and for ~$3/per, what a bargain to just toss in the car, glove box, etc. just to have available or as a backup should anything happen to your prime burner.

:velho:
    Ed Puff!
    cogito ergo puff

4. Bri2k

Bri2k Active Member

I couldn't pass by a bargain like these Ozarks. Mine smoked quite nicely considering the price, but I was careful not to fill it up to the line where the stain slopped over into the bowl. It filled the gap when I started putting together my pipe rotation. Unfortunately, I could never get past "burning in" the part of the stem that sticks into the bottom of the bowl so I put it aside once I picked up more briars.

5. whitebriar

whitebriar Member

ok folks

i was pretty lucky--not much varnish in the bowl of mine--i didn't fill completely to the top anyway--

they surely are an economical backup--i keep an old yellow bowl and a slightly less old medico bulldog in my cars for backup--i may order a couple more ozarks and change that situation--

glad to know i am not the only one to get the slightly sweet flavor--i had never gotten that in PA before in any pipe--

a good value, in addition to being a decent smoker!!

6. StevenEC

StevenEC Member

I got the maple taste out of them after 5 bowls of 1q, after that they are pretty good pipes, you get the durability of a wood pipe at corncob price. I have 3 more I will break in eventually to use as outdoors pipes. If I loose or break them when hiking or whatever, no big deal.

7. chambers11283

chambers11283 Member

These little pipes are great, just bought another and smoking it as i type. Had to replace the last one had it for like 2 years and it was just not smokeable any longer. But i got the staight one and already have perfect teeth marks in it so it is so easy to clench it and sit here and type, and like yall all have said so cheap and smoke great.

8. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Hi All,

Haven't tried one of these....yet, but I'm going to! Have learned a bit from this thread already and will watch it with interest,

Best as ever

Gerry

9. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

Guess I'm in the minority here. I had a cherry stained one that smoked terrible...after a month or so of failed smokes, I threw it out. I kept the stem for use on a MM Legend I had chewed through, though. Can't report(remember) now if it was the stain, a off-center drilling or what not, just it didn't work right. I paid 3$ I think, so no great loss. I won't be getting another, what with some MM cob models going for the same price.

10. Whalehead King

Whalehead King Balaenius Rex!!

I've been toying with the idea of this one for months and finally ordered one today before I read this thread. I like the idea of an inexpensive pipe that doesn't look "hillbilly" in the city and I trust MM. I'm going to be using a Forever Stem vs. the MM-issued one since I tend to clench through them after a few weeks. Looking forward to the mailman's arrival.

WK

11. Bri2k

Bri2k Active Member

The Missouri "Non-Meershaum" Ozark cherrywood smoked well for me and was very lightweight but I just couldn't get past having to burn in the end of the tenon that sticks out into the bowl. At least I got it started for the new owner.

12. greasemunki85

greasemunki85 Member

on a side note, any of you guys ever thought about "rusticating" one of these Maple weed burners??
    I know maple is a good bit harder than briar(or at least I think it is.)
    I dunno honestly if it would be possible..but it might look cool none the less.

13. WillH

WillH Active Member

Been the route....like so many items sold today it's just a mass produced thing to burn tobacco in. There is zero quality control. The idea is make them cheap and fast. The make their money on VOLUME.

So, what's a guy to do? Well, you are their quality control. If you can pick through a couple hundred pipes you will probably find two or three that are accidentally well made. As I mentioned before I've made pipes out of Olive and peach tree limbs that smoked very well. It's possible.

Will

14. cmw00

cmw00 Member

Have you smoked many of these over the years?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.