1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

MM pipes????

Discussion in 'Need Pipe Smoking Advice? Ask an Old Fart!' started by ol dub, Nov 14, 2012.

1. ol dub

ol dub Member

I read guys posting on here talking about smoking their MM Diplomat, Legend. What pipe company are they referring too?

2. Imrandy

Imrandy Member

missouri meerschaum other wise know as a corn cob

3. Coastal Bend

Coastal Bend Get off my lawn...

Missouri Meerschaum. They are corn cob pipes. (And, really good to smoke.)

PipeWife likes this.
  4. Tony Malerich

Tony Malerich Sales Account

And, really, THE only cob. Avoid the cheapo Chinese ones like the plague.

5. PipeWife

PipeWife Active Member

Minor clarification: They are the only one left. There used to be more, and I believe most (if not all) were in Washington, Missouri. I can say for certain Hirschl & Bendheim was also in Washington, MO.

IrishRover and Tony Malerich like this.
  6. Coastal Bend

Coastal Bend Get off my lawn...

+1 True. True.

BrownCoatXV likes this.
  7. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

As an aside - I heard a rumour that they work best on something called....er....Carter Hall?
    OT

8. WyoBob

WyoBob Member

If you ever get to Wyoming in the summer, we'll go out and poke some rattlesnakes with a stick. OK?

9. Tony Malerich

Tony Malerich Sales Account

Domestically, yeah. But still China... Others know the history better but I think MM acquired some of the other domestic producers years ago. You will periodically find American made estates with other brand names and those are (I think) often ok to smoke.

10. Bear84

Bear84 Member

Can't go wrong with the MM cobs, just make sure you check the bottom of the pipe for the sticker, make sure it's the real deal. One of the B&M's near me tends to mix them up on the MM board in their shop.

11. PipeWife

PipeWife Active Member

[​IMG]
    Six MMs, one H&B ... the H&B is actually my favorite to smoke. It was in an estate lot I got off the evilBay. From what I've been able to Google up, the factory shut down in either '81 or early '82 and was MM's last (domestic) competitor. I'd love a couple more H&Bs, but not for the "vintage" prices a lot of Bay sellers are putting on them.

Speaking of the evilBay ... I won a cobwarden the other night with a minimum bid, but neither MM nor H&B so I'll be trying to Google another old cob name. It has ridonculous proportions, and yes I will smoke it.

I simply must get some Forever Stems for these babies ... except the H&B. That one has a great-feeling stem/bit already.

12. DGErwin11

DGErwin11 Moderator Moderator

Bob, I trust you mean a short stick.:csmile:

dwaugh, WyoBob and Old Ted like this.
  13. Raffxr7

Raffxr7 Active Member

I have even come across a grabow cob... made in washington mo. MM is a darn good company, and makes a darn good pipe. Best bang for the buck by a LooooooooooooooooooNG shot!

Lithua pipe and irish2fish like this.
  14. RTOdhner

RTOdhner Well-Known Member

Damn Skippy!

15. Ridwaan Gallow

Ridwaan Gallow Member

here in SA, we only get the diplomat.. I've tried asking the ''tobcconists'' to order some Generals as i found that it holds way more baccy and will give me a longer puff time.. But they just looked at me & said, ''head office orders all our stock, on our behalf, so i don't think we'll be able to get it''..

Some tobacconist, hey?

On the other hand.. A good friend of mine, (whose name i won't mention because i don't know if he'll mind), is sending me one such General, straight from the states.. I really just love this forum & the people who ''live'' here..

PS. Is Mr. Erwin not also a manufacturer of Corn Cob Pipes?

Preacher1611 and Raffxr7 like this.
  16. DGErwin11

No, I am not. I buy the bowls from Missouri Meerschaum and modify them.

17. Ridwaan Gallow

Ridwaan Gallow Member

point understood..
    Sorry for the confusion Mr. Erwin..

18. DGErwin11

Just did not want to cause confusion or take credit that wasn't due me. No problem.

19. IrishRover

IrishRover Active Member

Ya gotta love the MM..
    I was lucky to score on some Irvin J Cobb pipes a while back. I think MM bought the JCobb line out. The J Cobb line was also manufactured in Missouri I belive.

20. WyoBob

WyoBob Member

I think MM absorbed all of the cob makers in MO. Irvin S Cobb, Buescher and, I'd guess, Phoenix AM Pipe Wks. I also have a couple of "Medico" and a "Sunday Cob Pipe" that I imagine was made by Buescher or MM.