Moist Tobacco

Discussion in 'The Smoking Lounge' started by 50rayj, Dec 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 50rayj

50rayj Active Member

Maybe it's just me but it seems that really moist tobacco burns hotter. Maybe it's due to puffing harder just to keep it lit . Anyone else think so?

2. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

Yes, too much moisture has to turn to steam as you burn, but also an overly dry filling will burn very quickly - and too hot, the knack that comes with experience, is finding the 'happy medium'. Different tobacco cuts and blends, along with filling and smoking technique affect the heat issue greatly too!. It all sounds complicated, but falls into place with a little experimentation.
    OT

3. DanielO

DanielO Member

As Ted said, too moist = steam = boils your mouth.

Too dry = burns fast = heat = fries your mouth.

I don't know what to do about too moist other than let it dry out before you load the bowl. Too dry can be solved by sipping veeerrrrrryyyyyy sllllloooowwwwlllllyyyyy.

4. 50rayj

50rayj Active Member

The moisture turning to steam issue really makes a lot of sense. The smoke even tastes "steamy" as I draw. The tobacco is from a brand new 7 oz bag of Bucaneer. I will try spreading some out on a plate for about half an hour before smoking my next bowl. I also have a bag of cheap cherry cavendish I bought at Walmart that has the same problem.

5. MacNutz

MacNutz Active Member

Oh yum, steamed tongue.:csmile:

Jesla likes this.
  6. user0003

user0003 Well-Known Member

7. Paul Mayeux

Paul Mayeux Member

I've noticed that some of the aro tobacs that I have are moister than say my SWR and as a consequence the pipe seems to feel hotter. I find myself letting it cool and then relight quite a few times compared to the OTC stuff I have. My Christmas Cheer 2011 is the coolest of all my tobacs. Smoking it in a early 50s GBD yeilds a bowl that feels slightly warm.

8. Ol Brokedik

Ol Brokedik Active Member

When you can touch your tobacco and know it's ready you've "arrived".

FlatbushPaul likes this.
  9. DMWyatt

DMWyatt Member

I routinely boiled my tongue when I was first starting out, one time so bad that I couldn't taste anything at all for 3 weeks. Some lessons are painful to learn, but they'll stick with you.

10. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

Nailed it!

FlatbushPaul likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.