Moisture in Kendall Kentucky

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by derrickyoung, Feb 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. derrickyoung

derrickyoung Member

How moist or how dry should this be. I bought a bag last spring and it never made it to the jar. I just found it and it felt a little dry compared to most tobacco. I smoked a bowl and judging by the smoke and speed it burned at I am guessing I need to rehydrate. But are we talking capt black moist or EMP moist or someplace in the middle

2. WrightwoodJohn

WrightwoodJohn Wrightwood expatriate

:whis: Do you like EMP?

3. derrickyoung

derrickyoung Member

I am working through a tin of it right now. My view may be tainted as I am smoking in a new savinelli that I despise. So was going to give it a go in an estate that does not make everything taste like dirty ass like the sav

But the EMP had moments of glory mixed into the nasty burning wood taste

WrightwoodJohn likes this.
  4. Buckshot

Buckshot Member

I smoke my KK a little dryer than it came to me in bulk form. About 20 minutes spread out on a plate and then into the bowl it goes.

5. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

Well, that's up to you to decide. I smoke it a little more moist than usual, but it burns pretty fast no matter how moist it is. Shag tobacco tends to do that. But what's best for you can only be determined by you. If you didn't like it in the state you last smoked it, try some rehydration and see if it improves.

JimInks likes this.
  6. cigarsarge

cigarsarge Active Member

I like it dry...Sipped it had wonderful flavors.

7. craig

craig Active Member

10 15 mins drying time works wonders

8. SouthBound

SouthBound Active Member

I like it pretty moist, but straight out of the jar is a little too much. When I decant a pint Mason jar, I let the whole wad sit out for a couple of hours. Then I stuff it into an old C&D 8oz can. Smokes perfect.

When it's crispy it loses some flavor to my taste. Plus, I can't get bone-dry shag to pack worth a crap, and I like a tight fill with KK.

JimInks likes this.
  9. JimInks

JimInks Well-Known Member

I won't smoke dry tobacco. It loses too much flavor. But distilled water takes care of the problem.

derrickyoung and SouthBound like this.
  10. krusty

krusty Active Member

'Nuther Kendal's Kentucky knut here. This particular shag needs to be moist. Must be moist!
    Of course that's for me (-:
    As Jim notes above, I also feel that dry tobacco loses too much flavor. So grab up a bowl, paper towel and water and re-animate that KK derrick!

derrickyoung, SouthBound and JimInks like this.
  11. Buckshot

Buckshot Member

You know, it occurred to me after reading some of the comments above that I have never actually tried KK without drying it out a little first. The flavors are always abundant but if they can be even better with a little moisture then I need to give that a whirl.

I have gotten into the habit of drying out all of my tobaccos before loading a bowl. You guys are obviously onto something here.

dmkerr, krusty and JimInks like this.
  12. buistd

buistd Sales Account

I smoke all tobaccos similar to Kendal Kentucky as moist as I can. I find that if they are too dry, they burn to quickly and irritate my mouth even if I take it really slow. The answers in this thread really do prove that it's what works best for you. Try it sopping wet; try it bone dry; try it in between. Whichever appeals to you the most is how you should smoke it.

JRobert and Buckshot like this.
  13. Buckshot

Buckshot Member

Very true. I tried it straight from my mason jar (fairly moist) for the first time and I like it better dried out a little.

14. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

For me, and speaking in general, shags don't do so well if they're bone dry. I prefer most flakes very, very dry, but shags do tend to burn too hot and lose some flavor when they're too dry.

Change up your habit just a bit and try each tobacco in various states of moisture level. You'll eventually find that perfect state for you. For me, it differs by blend. There are tobaccos out there that have little character unless they're bone dry and crispy (too much moisture causes steam, which deflates the flavor) and some that will go limp and bland if too dry. Which are which is up to Buckshot.

15. Buckshot

Buckshot Member

Very sound advice, dmkerr. Thank you.

One thing I did find out for sure: My wife told me that "it doesn't matter if it's wet or dry, it still stinks". :puffy:

dmkerr likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.