1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Moisture through stem?

Discussion in 'Need Pipe Smoking Advice? Ask an Old Fart!' started by Beale, May 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Beale

Beale Active Member

If upon a re-light I am getting moisture through a stem. What should I do? Have cleaned pipe and stem before hand with a pipe cleaner. Beale.

2. Degenetron

Degenetron Member

I'd just run a cleaner down there. Same as with gurgling. Just make sure to push the clean end in an inch or so after pulling out the nasty end. Could save you from an unpleasant surprise ;)

CMAsailor and Beale like this.
  3. Marc

Marc Active Member

Is this a filter pipe with no filter inserted?

4. Beale

Beale Active Member

Yup Marc? My CG Cob. I never use filters in them? Beale.

5. Marc

Marc Active Member

Beale, it has been my experience that smoking a filter pipe without the filter causes turbulence and extra condensation to form in that part of the shank and stem where the filter belongs, next time you're smoking that pipe or any filter pipe without the filter in place pull the stem out and see for yourself, I use to use a 6mm converter tube in my cobs to replace the filter and keep the draw proper. Filter pipes are designed to use a filter, if you don't like using filters you will have to deal with the condensation build up in the shank and stem from time to time or smoke a pipe without a filter system. The Savinelli balsa filters work really well in a cob stem and can be used for multiple smokes and then rinsed under water, laid out to dry and re-used several times before they have to be replaced, a very economical option to the standard filters which have to be replaced after two or three smokes. You can also cut a pipe cleaner in half, then fold in half and use as a filter, it will also absorb moisture and is for the really frugal minded pipe smoker... LOL

Beale likes this.
  6. Smoker99

Smoker99 Active Member

To begin with, a pipe should not gurgle, or smoke wet, that is not the norm. Simple physics, warm moist air passing thru cooler dry air will produce moisture. Turbulence will also cause it, ie, poor drilling. Very wet tobaccos are more prone to causing moisture, dry them if possible. Some PG soaked blends wont' do it. Wet smoking pipes don't have a long stay in my stable of pipes.

7. WyoBob

WyoBob Member

Drier tobacco and a folded one inch section of pipe cleaner stuck into the tenon will solve the problem. Moisture will condense on the pipe cleaner (which will also improve the draw, IMO.)

WyoBob

Beale likes this.
  8. Marc

Marc Active Member

The folded cleaner worked for me also, but it was much easier using a converter tube with gave the ability to pass a cleaner through a straight stem.

9. Beale

Beale Active Member

Thanks all! i just need to visit my B&M. See if they have the converter tubes? If not they do carry the Balsa inserts, Beale.

10. Marc

Marc Active Member

If Larry at the Pipe & Pipe does not have any extra ones laying around, I know Eric at Cup OJoes use to sell them separate of a pipe purchase, for the interim, try a pipe cleaner and see how that works for you.

Beale likes this.
  11. Ol Brokedik

Ol Brokedik Active Member

Lots of ways to use pipe cleaners. I use anywhere from one, to 3-4 times with the same smoke. The crap on the end of the pipe cleaner tastes nasty. You'll want to get that out of your pipe anyway.

Ol Brokedik.

12. Kiowapipe

Kiowapipe Active Member

Beale, if I get a taste of moisture I just run a pipe cleaner most of the way down midsmoke. Try running a cleaner before you relight, should clear it right up. My personal preference is to go filterless even with a cob designed for filters. I don't mind having to run a cleaner now and then.

13. ichabod

ichabod Member

Where do you find the 6mm converter tubes? Or what do you use for that?

14. Marc

Marc Active Member

Eric at Cup O' Joes use to sell them, also, check with your local pipe shop, usually they have extra converter tubes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.