1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.
  2. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Molly Malone has arrived!

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by Tony Malerich, Oct 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tony Malerich

Tony Malerich Sales Account

Perhaps I should be concerned? No, not really, just talking about the pipes here. I haven't seen many folks talk about owning this set. Perhaps it's too feminine for a man to admit owning? I've had my eyes on them for a while, though, and I figured it was time. I got in touch with Cup o Joes and asked about the absolutely brilliantly sandblasted set pictured on their site. I was told that particular one sold, but they went through their stock and picked what they thought was the best available for me. They sent some pictures along, and after asking a few questions decided to go for it. Their pictures didn't quite do the set justice, and I don't think mine will either! These have a pretty decent heft to them (perhaps on account of the thick lucite stems?) so not a clencher for me, but I'm happy to hold one. The Rhodesian smoked beautifully when I lit it up this morning. The bent brandy was more or less like a typical Pete -- I felt like I was smoking more air than tobacco (flavor-wise) -- so it will need the usual work to get it broken in. Both seem to have been engineered splendidly, though, and I'm eager to smoke both more!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Albert

Albert Active Member

Gorgeous pipes for sure! Saw a set in person and thought they were excellent! good buy Tony.:toast:

3. Spillproof

Spillproof Mostly Harmless Moderator

Makes an Irishman proud.

4. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

Gorgeous! And no p-lip!!!!!!! :thu:

user2725, jpberg, Tsal and 1 other person like this.
  5. Tony Malerich

The p-lip is fine by me, just not all the time. Since most of my Petes have them I'm thrilled to have another without :D

Old Codger and Spillproof like this.
  6. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

I angle my regular stems in my mouth anyway so the smoke shoots towards the roof. A p-lip would shoot it to the back of my throat, so it would require massive re-education, which at this point is akin to teaching a very old dog a near-impossible new trick. :D

7. Pappy

Pappy Member

WOW! Those are nice! :nwor:

8. Vaquero

Vaquero Member

Man they blasted those things into little Irish beauties.... I WANT

9. AussieTX

AussieTX Active Member

Very very nice! A man can never have too many Pete's.

10. Old Codger

Old Codger Well-Known Member

Congrats. Very nice acquisition. Best ones I've seen.

11. Svart

Svart Member

Amazing pipes Tony

12. Tsal

Tsal Well-Known Member

Very cool.

13. t-bear

t-bear Well-Known Member

Beautiful pipes kiddo! And no...they are NOT too "feminine" for a man...at least not this man! I have a number of estate pipes from the 20s, 30s and 40s that are probably smaller than your Mollys...it was common back then. I'm quite happy smoking them, especially when out and about. Easy to carry, easy to clench.

Oh yeah.....you scored!! I'd be interested to know what the text is in the lid.........??

14. Jussto

Jussto Active Member

I've had bit of a hankering for the Mollys myself, although I would probably go for the smooth version with the fishtail bits, but a very nice score that I'm sure will keep you puffing for a while! As far as a pipe being feminine, it's a freakin pipe! Smoke them and enjoy them!

15. Tony Malerich

For the record, I think the pipes are great. I just haven't heard anybody else talk about owning a set so I made a silly postulation as to why. The stems do have a pinkish hue in sunlight so I went with "feminine" just for the heck of it. Glad to hear somebody else is enjoying a set, and that so many of you do appreciate them (though I'd still love the set if not!)

The pipes do have a good heft to them. I'd probably put them in Group 3 or 4 (though my experiences thereof are limited. And Jussto, a year ago is likely would have gone for smooth, but I've gotten a bit bored with it of late (at least PAD-wise, I still love the ones I have). I still love wood grain, though, so blast wins over rustic.

And for t-bear, the lid has the lyrics to Cockles & Mussels (Molly's song).

Old Codger and Jussto like this.
  16. jdto

jdto Well-Known Member

They are a nice pair.

Coastal Bend likes this.
  17. len smetona

len smetona Member

Ha! Taken today... I'm in Dublin, with a friend who is also a piper. If the statue is true, Molly was a good looker, like the pipes. Enjoy!

[​IMG]

RTOdhner, dwaugh and Old Codger like this.
  18. Tony Malerich

You have excellent timing, sir :D

19. Bob K

Bob K Member

Beautiful set!!

20. user2725

user2725 Active Member

Speaking of nice pairs ;).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.