1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.
  2. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Molly Malone

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by nesta, Jul 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

Check out some of these new Petes that smokingpipes got in. I've never seen this line before, is it new?

The line is a set of two pipes, a bent brandy and a straight Rhodesian. They feature a sterling silver band and an interesting acrylic stem with a kind of marbleized "peaches and cream" coloration to it.

I think the stem is a bit on the feminine side, perhaps a tip of the hat to the line's namesake, but the sturdy, somewhat masculine shaping (after all, they're Petersons) does a good job of balancing the feminine/masculine qualities of the pipes, making them quite suitable for anybody who thinks they look sharp.

[​IMG]

Anyway, what do you all think of these?

I'm not usually a huge fan of most of Peterson's rusticated pipes, but the rusticated versions of this line (they have two in stock) are rather nice, and I think the smooth is really gorgeous. Unfortunately at significantly over 300 dollars I surely can't justify buying the smooth set, but the rusticated versions are under 250, so maybe if I save up and I don't end up buying some expensive stuff at the pipe show (AND these are still available at that time) I could get some later.

Whether you like them or not, I think these are some of the more interesting and unique presentations I've seen from Peterson.

TheMadMan and Kiowapipe like this.
  2. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

Oh and I will say while I find the presentation really neat, I think the rusticated pipes would be a better value anyway. I like the grain on the rhodesian well enough, but on the brandy...meh...I love the birdseye on the right side, but it looks really slapdash on the left side. At over 175 bucks I'd hope for a better looking grain on a smooth pipe

3. user1975

user1975 Active Member

Very nice looking pipes, but like you, I think they're a little over my purchasing capacity at the moment.

4. jpberg

jpberg Moderator Moderator

I think they're quite nice looking, and I love the fact that Pete is throwing a bunch of collections out there, but....for that money, go see Mr. Tinsky or Mr. Bannard.

jeff394 and yinyang like this.
  5. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

Not a bad deal for a pair o'Petes. That Molly's gotta nice pair too! Wonder how she talked the fishermen into letting her have some fish/clams/mussels to sell during the day................ but then again, the history re: Ms Malone did say she worked hard at night too. My kind o' woman! Too bad Pete didn't include a nice pewter tamper with a "bust" of Ms Molly", hell, I'd even settle for just 1/2! :D

Ed
    Puff

Old Codger and yinyang like this.
  6. DocB

DocB Active Member

Nice looking set... The pipes look good too!! I may check out the rustic set, thanks for the info...:thu2:

7. Jussto

Jussto Active Member

I think that's a particularly sweet looking Rhodesian there... a little steep for my blood at the moment though!

8. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

I agree! I wish they'd sell these individually, I really like these :(

9. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

It's different. I wouldn't turn them down as a gift, but I can't imagine I would spend my own money on them. JP is right...that's custom territory for sure.

10. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

Ack! They're carrying them at cupojoes, too, and the smooth finish is under $300....but the coloration on their photos is a little duller, and the stems look a little less colorful. Still nice, but I wonder which photos are more true to life, or if there are alternate versions being put out?

[​IMG]

TheMadMan likes this.
  11. jpberg

Yeah. I'm not trying to pee on your cornflakes, Nesta, but I can't look at a pipe over a hundred and fifty bucks without thinking that I can get one made, just for me, for not much more. I took the "make me a pipe" plunge a couple of years ago, and I haven't looked back.

12. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

Oh no, for the most part I agree. If I was looking to spend that much money on a pipe, I'd have to either get to hold it and see it in person (and inspect it for any potential flaws) or else I'd more likely ask someone to make me a pipe and know I'll get a much better value. I'm sure that going straight to the carver will get you for 100-200 dollars a pipe that would retail for 250-350 easily...the markup is, I'm sure, quite ridiculous as both the distributor and the vendor need to make a large enough amount of money on the transactions to keep them in business. Still, I love the looks of these things

13. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

That is a striking color difference.... I'd be curious to see these things in real life. I'm a terrible sucker for "collections" and "matched" pieces and "special editions".

14. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

I know not to trust my eyes usually, but that isn't just duller...it's an entirely different color! I imagine two staining options?

15. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

And the stems are a completely different color as well. I prefer the redder hue in the first picture, for both the stain and stem

Edit: definitely a different option, cupojoes also carries a smooth ebony finish, with the yellower stems.

[​IMG]

Johnny Dingo likes this.
  16. Tony Malerich

Tony Malerich Sales Account

Reviving this old thread -- I'm curious if anybody out there has picked up this set. The smooth is nice, but I'm really loving this dark walnut (?) sandblast finish paired with that stem. I'm THIS CLOSE to being bad and telling myself HAPPY BIRTHDAY but the funds are a bit tapped at the moment.

[​IMG]

TheMadMan likes this.
  17. Morse

Morse Active Member

I think I first saw these about a year ago - they are relatively new..I've a.ways liked the ebony ones

18. AmeriMick

AmeriMick Member

Along with a lot of others, if I was looking to throw that much down on a pipe, it'll be custom.

I love my 80$ Pete to death though.

19. colorduke

colorduke Active Member

Or the good DR Grabow.

Ted Vig, jpberg and TheMadMan like this.
  20. jpberg

Duke, you pop up in the damndest places.:)

Vaquero likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.