Money Saving Idea

Discussion in 'The Smoking Lounge' started by Pfeifenraucher, Oct 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pfeifenraucher

Pfeifenraucher Member

I've been having a hard time finding pipe cleaners at my local drugstores and "Big Box" store. It's a 40 mile round trip into town to the nearest B&M tobacco store, so I have to stock up when I find them. I remembered that some folks use pipe cleaners for arts and crafts (imagine that), so I checked out a hobby store close to the house and hit the "mother load" of pipe cleaners! They had all colors, shapes, and sizes. and for cheap! They are about 12" long, so I plan on cutting them in half and doubling my investment. They're not as firm as Dill's, but they'll get the job done. Just thought I'd share with the forum, in case someone else was in the same predicament. :bing:

2. Tony Malerich

Tony Malerich Active Member

A friend of mine found the same sort of thing ("chenille straws" I think) in the WalMart crafting section. I'm not sure they'd be as absorbent as cotton ones, but certainly a good option if it's what's available.

3. DGErwin11

DGErwin11 Moderator Moderator

Let us know how they do. I've heard they are not as good as real pipe cleaners. But as they say, "Any port in a storm."

nesta and OldSouled65 like this.
  4. Stonewall

Stonewall Active Member

I just add a few bundles to my Toby orders. They're only a buck or so. I've tried to use cheaper ones, but they're far less absorbent that B.J. longs.

5. UnarmedCrayon

UnarmedCrayon Member

I'm spoiled in my area, I have a good B&M that sells bags of the BJ Long's for 3 bucks. But i have noticed that all the Rite Aids in my area keep a small supply of Dill's brand pipe cleaners. Maybe they can save you a drive if the craft store ones don't work like you wish. I think I read in a similar thread a while back that somebody tried the craft store ones and found that they left excessive lint in the pipe. I may be wrong though.

6. gunslinger84

gunslinger84 Member

I miss being in the army, every time we had to clean our weapons one of the tool boxes were slap full of long's pipe cleaners, wish I knew I would wind needing them for something else besides cleaning the blow back tube...

Gunslinger,

7. Jim44

Jim44 Member

I've been using those long ones from Walmart ever since I got my first churchwarden a few years ago. The wire in the center seems to be a little finer than real pipe cleaners, so they bend pretty easy, but I don't have any problems with their absorbing whatever, They work fine for me........

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.