1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Moniga pipe

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by DLWJohn, Mar 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DLWJohn

DLWJohn Member

So I've recently taken a liking to the nosewarmer style pipes, I really didnt have much money to spend on one at the time, but I figured what the heck I'll see whats on ebay. I ended up winning this little pipe marked only "Moniga" on the bottom of the shank for about $5.00. I dont think its anything too great; the wood/rustication reminds me of the quality you see on a Grabow. It seems to have been well loved by whoever smoked it before. I searched a little about them but couldnt find much. I only saw one mention on a site selling a pot style with the same marking. Just wondering if anyone else has one and how they like it? Heres the picture from the ebay auction, didnt get a chance to take any of my own yet. [​IMG]

2. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

I've heard of Malaga and Molina. Definitely not an expert, though. Only brought it up in case it was misstated on the bay. If so, Pipedia can help with your research.

3. DLWJohn

DLWJohn Member

Thanks for the tip, I've never come across that site before.

4. DLWJohn

DLWJohn Member

Heres a few shots of it all cleaned up finally. It took 2 S/A treatments to get most of the ghost of whatever bitter nastiness that was smoked out of it. I also found an unpleasant surprise with the stem when I got it that wasnt mentioned in the auction; most of the tenon is snapped off. Theres still enough to hold it firmly enough for it to be smoked, but I might just have a new one made for it. After all I only paid $5 for it and with a new stem I'd have just about what it costs for a new Grabow into this one. For the maiden smoke I had a bowl of Burley London Blend last night. With the exception of the ghost still shining through a bit it was a fairly decent smoke.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.