more tobacco then you have pipes

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by David Emond, Feb 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. David Emond

David Emond Active Member

Hi everyone,

So im at a point were i have more tobacco then pipes and im trying not to care about it but its still on my mind. I got about 10 samples and 6 mason jars full of tobaccos but i only have 5 pipes.

So at the moment i got 2 pipes for aromas, peterson 312 and a tracy mincer doodler.
    ben wade pipe for english and was thinking of adding another pipe to the english one of the mark twain set.
    and keep 1 for periques such as frogs ?

im trying to tell my self that i wont notice any ghosting since im new but it still on my mind.

2. IrishRover

IrishRover Active Member

Uh oh! You better get more pipes - :) ... Just kidding...
    Maybe get a couple cobs to use while the others rest...

3. JescoWhite

JescoWhite Member

I used to very diligent about only smoking similar blends in a pipe. I had a couple that were strictly for English blends, a couple for aros. Once I started getting into VAs I only smoked them out of my aro pipes at first. Now I smoke VAs out of any pipe regardless if it was primarily an English pipe or aro pipe. I really don't notice much ghosting at all if any. I also gave up on smoking aros and obviously these are the ones that are more likely to ghost your pipe.

Personally I would not smoke aros and lakelands out of the same pipe that I smoke English blends. But VA's are fair game, I smoke those in all of my pipes. I don't think you would have a significant issue with ghosting if you smoked Perique blends in your English pipe and vice versa.

Mark w4mms and David Emond like this.
  4. ruralhipster

ruralhipster Member

I find that as long as you dedicate a pipe to latakias, one to strong aros, and one to lakelands, it all works out. Burleys are great for building cake or taming ghosts. If I want to change a pipes "designated" blend I will smoke a few bowls of Carter Hall, or Golden Extra first.

That said I have a pipe that was ghosted with vanilla that I enjoy smoking English out of now, the first couple times I smoked a latakia blend in it were especially delicious. I have more than a few pipes that are all-arounders: meers, meer-lined briars and cobs.

Main thing is not to worry too much apart from lakelands, vanilla, and cherry, most other ghosts can be easily tamed.

David Emond likes this.
  5. David Emond

So this Lakeland tobacco is a region were Samuel Gawith and Gawith,Hoggarth make their tobaccos? So i would have to have a pipe for squadron leader?

6. Lestrade

Lestrade Active Member

I'd rather have more tobacco then pipes, than to have more pipes than tobacco.

Wicklow, David Emond and ol gto like this.
  7. HCraven

HCraven Active Member

Yes, no, and yes. Yes, that's where they make SG and GH, but no, Squadron Leader is not in the Lakeland style. They are marked by floral notes and/or Tonquin flavor, and don't incorporate Latakia or Orientals to my knowledge. Squadron Leader is just a classic English blend, and yes, you should devote a pipe to it, if only because it's that good.

David Emond, ol gto and Lestrade like this.
  8. David Emond

Thanks guys for the info, its fun reading up on all this, just doing a search on lakeland i found out about a family feud with the gawith family and thats how they split.

9. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

They're both good, but GH is better than SG (okay, not really, but it's what I favor). SG and GH's scented "Lakeland" blends are pretty different in style from each other. SG tends to be dominated by tonquin and herbal flavors, whereas GH uses tons of florals. I've yet to find a SG blend that tastes like flowers, and I've yet to find a GH scented blend that doesn't.

I have a number of pipes dedicated to "Lakeland" blends. Of these, I use a La Rocca Dublin, a Royal Coachman bulldog, and now a Grabow Viking for floral blends. This includes GH scented blends, St. Bruno, H&H's Lakeland Brickle and Fortissimo, and probably if I ever get my hands on some, Condor.

I use a Luciano ball and a Bjarne Viking bulldog for SG scented blends, as well as a MM legend. Because these blends come in assorted flavors, I also use these pipes for other traditional flavored flakes such as Erinmore and Peterson University Flake, neither of which would be considered by anybody I know of to be "Lakeland" style tobaccos, but which are quite different from Amerian/Danish style aromatics. These don't seem to ghost particularly strongly, but the floral blends do. I will also smoke the likes of Grousemoor, Kendal Cream Flake, and Sam's Flake in my Peterson System, and have yet to notice any substantial ghosting that a bowl or two of PA doesn't get rid of.

I smoke natural burlies and Virginias in any pipe I wish, but do find that floral tobaccos, aromatic tobaccos, and latakia ghost and at least some residual flavor is to be expected if I do this. With floral tobaccos the "ghost" is so strong that I might as well be smoking a floral scented tobacco. This ghost is also extremely tenacious, which in the long run is actually a good thing if you like the taste and you're short on money. GH tobacco is expensive. Run out? Smoke some PA in your Ennerdale pipe and you'll notice a difference but it will suffice!

David Emond likes this.
  10. David Emond

with all those pipes Nesta you must forget at times what pipe is for what ? hehe

ol gto and Puff The Magic like this.
  11. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

I do keep a couple of pipes on hand strictly for natural blends without large quantities of orientals, latakia, or flavorings. Mild semi-aromatics that won't strongly flavor the next bowl are okay, such as Exhausted Rooster. These pipes are generally reserved for straight burley and Virginia blends. Perique doesn't tend to ghost pipes as far as I can tell, since it is generally used in quite small portions and exists in many different styles of tobacco.

I have I think twenty two or twenty three pipes...thats nothing compared to some of the folks on here :confused: ....but I don't really forget what's what generally. And sometimes I just don't care and smoke something in whatever I feel like. I'm really only picky when it comes to strong American/Danish style aromatics and when it comes to tobacco with a floral scent to it.

ol gto likes this.
  12. user1975

user1975 Active Member

I think most of us have more tobacco than pipes. I do try to keep certain pipes just for my English blend, and one or two for aros, but like another poster said, VA's, and VA/Per's are fair game for most any pipe, although I smoke them mostly in my cobs.

ol gto, David Emond and SouthBound like this.
  13. UberHuberMan

UberHuberMan Member

Yeah, it's pretty normal to have more baccy than pipes. Besides, if we all had more pipes than baccy, we'd very quickly find that our pipes had little use aside from being fondled and stared at. ;)

14. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

Yeah! Kinda like my....oh...um....nevermind :oops:

David Emond likes this.
  15. gunsmoke

gunsmoke Member

I keep my latakias separate from my aeros & keep them separate from va, va/pers & va/burly. So 3 sets of pipes but that's about it. I don't have any specific blend dedicated pipes.

David Emond likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.