Morning Joe and a Pipe

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by RTOdhner, Feb 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RTOdhner

RTOdhner Well-Known Member

I woke up way early this morning, and couldn't get back to sleep. So, I made a pot of coffee and decided to smoke a pipe. I went for the corncob and loaded it up with Peter Stokkebye Natural #1 (PSN1). I had originally bought the PSN1 to develop my palate so I could learn to distinguish a Virginia from a Burly, and to be able to associate a flavor with the Virginia. For this it worked well - I associate Virginia with wheat bread - but other than that I didn't really think it was anything special. Besides associating Virginia with wheat bread, I thought the PSN1 had a hint of baker's sugar and it left a very pleasant room note: light and generically sweet that is kinda sorta akin to baker's sugar. It also has a mild bite. I tried it in four of my pipes (including the corncob I smoked this morning), but at best I thought it might make a good alternate for my everyday smoke, maybe as a break from Prince Albert (PA). Really, I had planned to just smoke it up, and probably not buy it again unless I could figure how to use it as a base tobacco in a blend of my own that I might be able to concoct.

However, this morning, in my MM Legend corncob with nothing on the palate but medium-strength black coffee, it was very nice. I'd like to say great, but right now my only other experience is PA - and it sure trumps PA as a morning smoke. I'd always heard about a "morning smoke," and came across numerous references on this forum, but I never got it until this morning. This morning, with nothing but the black coffee on the palate, it lost the taste of the baker's sugar but it also lost the bite. However, the wheat bread taste was wonderfully enhanced and I can still detect the baker's sugar in the room note.

I can't say you guys made my toby taste any better, but y'all sure helped me learn to taste what I'm smoking, to critically assess it, and truly appreciate it. Right now, PSN1 is going to be my morning toby.

2. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

The morning smoke is a big deal . I'm fixed on SWR in the AM . I've tried other blends now and then but they just dont work . SWR and PA are much the same but different . It's cool you liken Va to wheat bread .. I've always thought it was like toast and love it . MB Golden Extra is a Burley but w/ the toast thing going on and it's freaky good . As much as I love it ... only SWR works in the AM . The PS Natural is fantastic and it looks as though your locked in ... Very cool ! Enjoy

3. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

I haven't tried PSN1. I may just have to give it a shot. Ruffino, you are making me want another tin of Mac Baren GE even though I haven't opened the one I have yet!

4. WyoBob

WyoBob Member

I generally wake up between 4:30-5:30 am. What a waste as I'm retired and have no place to go. I think part of the reason I wake up early is because I'm looking forward to my daily, a.m. coffee and a cob. My daily tobacco is P.S. Luxury Navy Flake or Luxury Twist Flake. Often times, if I'm on a book reading binge, I'll light up the natural Freehand.

I'm off to the heated garage!

WyoBob

5. Snake

Snake permanent ankle biter

PSN1 sounds quite tasty, and I must
    look around for some. My "morning"
    smoke varies depending on what
    mood I'm in, but once I settle on a
    blend for the commuter pipe, it'll
    be that (except for my days off).
    Of course, my morning smoke is
    everyone else's afternoon smoke.
    At least, here on this continent.

dp

6. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

Pop it man ! It would be nice to see someone else talk up MB GE . It just sounds cool too ... ya walk up to a tobacconist and say ... Golden Extra please ... as opposed to a cartoon character .. imo

7. commonsenseman

commonsenseman Member

Everything but the 4:30-5:30am part sounds great. If it wasn't winter I'd be having my morning 1792 with some black coffee, ah spring is "right around the corner".

8. Traderbob

Traderbob Member

I agree with you - my best smoke is in the early morning out in my shop with a cup of coffee. During my quest for some EMP I ran accross "Early Day" by Villiager Stokkeby 1888. I love this one in the morning!

Happy Smoking!

Bob

9. morleysson

morleysson Member

The morning smoke, the first smoke of the day, is the most important one for me. The AM smoke sets the tone for the day, hopefully whetting my appetite for more through the day. But, even if it's the only smoke, the AM smoke can right all wrongs. AM smoke with black coffee is the best. Clean and fresh tastes for the rest of the day. I like ERRd and 5Bros mixed to start the day. Since ERRd is growing scarce even in my cellar, I've moved to either OJK or BigNBurley in the same Custombilt or the Charatan 2nd bell shape. Big enough bowl in either case for flavors to develop, but not big enough to bore me, before the smoke is done.

10. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

I just started drinking coffee (avoided it for years) and realized that it was the reason I couldn't smoke a "morning pipe". Mostly black coffee with the above-poster Morleysson's "Americana" from C&D is a great start to the day. Bob, I couldn't smoke OJK or BnB first thing in the morning if my life depended upon it! :D

11. RTOdhner

RTOdhner Well-Known Member

All these references to morning tobies! I'm going to have to try them all. Right now the PSN1 is it, but half the enjoyment from it is going to be buying a pouch or tin of this, and a pouch or tin of that. I just ordered some C&D Epiphany, but it's not even here yet and I'm already contemplating my next order and I think it will have a tin of Dunhill's Early Morning mixture in it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.