1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Mostly Virginia TAD

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by telltime, Jan 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. telltime

telltime Active Member

I blame Puff for this!!

Back in September some may remember I ended up at the Iwan Ries & Co. store in Chicago and ended up buying a boatload of Aeros... and I've barely cracked them.

My Secret Santa was also very generous to me.

Then there was the visit with Puff last month who added to my cellar, and now more importantly, my taste buds.

I just ordered from Pipes and Cigars another boatload of tobacco. This time almost exclusively Virginias and almost all of it flake. This is all Puff's fault. Had he not given me that Solani Silver Flake and OGS in those speed loaders, I would have continued to convince myself that VA's were just too strong for me. Now I know that while they can be dangerous to the head, they are truly dangerous to the wallet once you discover what you've been missing.

- Dunhill Flake (50g) x 3
    - Dunhill Deluxe Navy Rolls (50g) x 3
    - Solani Siver Flake 660 (100g) - This stuff is GOOD!
    - Orlick Golden Sliced (100g)
    - Reiner Golden Label (100g)
    - Reiner Copper Label (100g)
    - Cornell and Diehl Interlude (2 oz. tin)
    - McClelland Christmas Cheer 2010 (100g)

And just for good measure, and since my shipping was free, I ordered a cob... can't have too many, right (again, Puff's fault).

Now, I'm lucky if I get to smoke once or twice a week right now. Considering I probably have in the neighborhood of 4 lbs or more of toby on hand, I must say mad (not mad, mad... crazy mad). But I'll just have to convince the wife I'm gearing up for prohibition...

Puff, I trust you know that I blame you in jest. For all who know him here, Puff is a great educator on toby, and a real gentleman and advocate for this hobby/lifestyle. Thank you, sir!:thankyou:

P.S. - I still enjoy my aeros!

2. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

Now yer "Smokin' " Devin! :)

If your wife asks........tell her it's Puff's fault.......... I can take the hit! ;)

Don't you wanna go back to IRC now? You'll never leave!

:velho:
    Ed Puff!
    Cogito ergo puff

3. chambers11283

chambers11283 Member

I need to but some good Va's in a future order, never have tried any, but from what i have read it will be something i can get into as a aromatic smoker.

4. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

Got to admire these guys that buy truckloads of tobacco - untried - and on someone else's say-so! (then only smoke twice a week! :roflmao: )

5. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Hi All,

I always say it takes something to beat a good virginia - enjoy!

Best as ever

Gerry

6. gyrostatic

gyrostatic Member

Yeah, but that's the great thing about PSF. If they don't like it, they'll probably just unload it on someone who does!

7. Puff The Magic

No gutz........No glory! I did most of my "truckload" TAD'n on what I read on TR and from what the respected members here on PSF would rave about. Didn't get steered wrong yet! Of course there were some that I liked more than others so i'd just get another "truckload" of what was the most enjoyed. the shiite httin' the fan is getting closer and closer day by day. I bet every piper (or the ones who have to budget which is nearly all of us) wishes they could bring back the days where a 50/100 gm tin was a mere tenth of the costs of today. Taxation has been the large cause of the increases but manufacturer increases do come into play. We can all get around the taxation by just paying more of our hard earned moolah..........but societal law changes make negotiations around those laws illegal. Hell, the state of North Carolina is now a "no smoking allowed in public state"........and that state was founded on deep tobacco roots!

This time last year, I had about 2 lbs total (a few sealed tins, several open tins, and the rest bulks).............now, my cellar has close to 200 lbs and I'm not as fearful of tax law or social law changes as much if the shiite hits the fan.

I know of many of our "non-USA" piper bretheren are purchasing toby from USA toby houses to get around the stiff taxation of their governments.........nothin' wrong with that (sort of but that discussion is entirely a different thread......) .

I do plan on hanging around for at least another 30+ yrs smokin' my pipes and now I'm resting way "easier". Go forward!

Cellar wide
    Cellar deep
    Cellar now!

Ed Puff!
    Cogito ergo puff

8. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

Amen to your post and a little extra something for your ditty:

Cellar wide
    Cellar deep
    Cellar now
    Cellar keep

Smoke a cob
    Smoke a briar
    Either way
    Light that fire!

9. Puff The Magic

Hey Brad, ya left out meers! How can you dis the "white godess"????

:)

Pipers who have no regrets of not having bought a bunch of tins when it was less than $5-USD will probably not care what they have to pay for their toby when the US prices approach or equal "world market prices". ~$30-60/tin (50/100 gm respectively). The way I look at it is the more I save on toby purchases now, means more toby bought now, than at higher future prices. I'm focusing on bulk as in pounds. Broken down, it's like getting 1/4 for free and the bulk prices are quite reasonable compared to what it'll probably look like in 5 years and all of my bulks will have aged nicely I'm betting.

Then there's the argument that certain blends will cease to be made........how are you gonna get around that? Only by having piping friends who cellar'd some earlier!

So cellar my friends! :beerhat: :beerhat:

Ed Puff!
    cogito ergo puff

10. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

I think - in fact I'm sure!, that people are taking my earlier comment wrongly, as I was not deriding 'cellaring' - as even for the relatively short time that I have left - I would probably do it in a modest way if tobacco did not cost twice as much here - as you guys pay. I was merely wondering (and still do) why people buy a large amount of something, before trying it. Of course (before someone else says it!) - we all do what we like with our money, and time etc. and it's nothing to do with me!, just expressing an opinion - in the spirit of forums such as this.
    Cheers, OT

11. Puff The Magic

OT, I don't believe anyone took your post as neg-commentary. Each piper has their own choices to make and live with. We all choose the roads we take. How are you ever going to get to new places or try new things without taking that leap of faith? Thank PSF for having such a reliable bunch o'members who share knowledge and info willingly. TR otoh I have to apply grains of salt liberally but i still do hunt down the reviewers that I share similar taste preferences and read their reviews more studiously.

We never know when will be our time to go to the great smoke-room but until then, I'll at least be bothered at a minimum by future changes in "the shape of pipe smoking".........or at least as far as I can reasonably help it.

I've tried many tobys I didn't much care for in the first few bowls in my past years of smoking. What I found later after revisiting these blends was that I now like if not really like them. Was it the aging? Did my tastes change? Did the planets align? Maybe it was a bit of everything.

Remember, if you don't like it now..............you just may love it later! That's what I keep telling my wife! ;)

Ed Puff!
    Cogito ergo puff

12. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

Yes ... whatever you can stash away is good ! Unless the world gets bombed with some balls ... the wusses are gonna make us pay more in the future or try to "outlaw it" . Those are some killer va.'s . I've been on a PS Lux Twist flake kick ... it's really good ! It's pretty cheap in bulk as well .

13. Puff The Magic

And he lives in Maryland! ;)

BOT, I just ordered a pound of Red Paramour (Park-Lane) having never tried it but by going on what's posted here (Thank YOU Earl! "StrongIrish") and what's on TR. Described as "Red Crack" ehhhhh? Mmmmmmmmmmmmm crack! Oh wait! I'm not a "crack-head" although I'm betting that I'll be an addict on this weed. I know, high hopes can end up as a big let-down but somehow, I don't believe I'll be disappointed at all.

Ed Puff!
    Cogito ergo puff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.