1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

mother-in-laws family pipes

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by coreya, Jul 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. coreya

coreya New Member

Just got these pipes from my mother-in-law who's 88 and they were her fathers who died in the 70's. I'm looking for any info I can find on them as to age etc. I've checked on ebay and found nothing like them and doing a search also came up with minimal info. The one has CPF on the metal band of the stem and is or appears to be merscham well carved with a house,leaves and what looks like a bird. It is either a consolidated pipe factory 1851-1915 or a colossus pipe factory 1890's-1920's or who knows? The other has no markings but appears also to be merscham with a brass like lid on the bowl, the stem appears to be wood carved with a screww in end stem. Both of the pipe stems are very loose but overall they appear to be restorable. Any info such as age etc or guidence would be helpful.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

Not 100 % sure but I think it's consolidated pipe factory . Thats an old pipe man ... would be worth getting it up to speed ! You'll enjoy that one for sure

3. coreya

coreya New Member

Thanks for the fast reply, I figure they both date from around the early 1900's but wasn't sure, was hoping someone could narrow it down for me. The first carved meerschaum cpf pipes stem is wood up to the metal band than some material that looks like horn or bone or tortoise material and when I use the hot pin test it smells like burning hair. The second pipe has a two piece stem with the bottom portion being wood and the top bent portion the same type of material as the first. The second one appears to be a meerschaum type material but hasn't colored as deeply like meerschaum so don't really know.
    I probably wont keep these as I had to quit smoking a couple years ago and I still have all of my pipes (some of which I payed 100 each 30 years ago) which I don't know what I'm going to do with. I'm hoping to get some info as to Providence and value and perhaps someplace reputable to sell them if they are worth anything and don't want to get hammered to badly! Thanks for all the help.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

The top pipe mouthpeiece looks like horn to me

5. chambers11283

chambers11283 Member

Those look to be in real good shape for the age they may be. Even if you dont get them up to smokeing speed, i think just to have a peice of you family history like that is very worth keeping them and showing them off. Cheers and hope you find the info you are looking for.

6. Mister Moo

Mister Moo Normal Cow Moderator

I approved your first post with an eye to opening discussion on what may be interesting old pipes. If you wanted an appraisal I'd have said that's best a matter left to dealers.

I think these pipes, their history and your interest in them are worth discussion but be advised this is not the kind of place to ask, "What should I sell it for?"

7. WillH

WillH Active Member

Corey,

Great pipes and the family history makes them special. Keep them!

You might contact Floyd Norwood for repair work and information. It's could be worth a try, ya just never know. Never hurts to ask!

www.norwoodspiperepair.com/

Will

8. coreya

coreya New Member

Sorry, I didn't realize that asking for information about these pipes which as a matter of that discussion would include a value range based on rarity, type and condition was forbidden. Since pipes haven't been my area of expertise for some years I was hoping someone on here would have some of those answers so I could make an informed intelligent decision. Thanks for the information that all of you that responded have given and again please accept my apologies.

9. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

No worries man. We just get a few too many hopeful sellers kind of hawking things in a roundabout way, and as a forum goes, it makes us feel kinda used.

10. t-bear

t-bear Well-Known Member

Your first pipe is definitely a Consolidated Pipe Factory piece...and a nice one. The stem looks to be horn...the two that I have are amber and date to the early 1900's.

The shape is called an "Ulm", a Germanic style, sort of a "tavern pipe". They are seen occasionally today, but the ones you have are of an older design.

While they are nice pieces, don't expect to get rich off them. The style is not "highly collectable" today...

11. Njemt527

Njemt527 Member

I'm really digging the briar one! Nice find man.

12. dubhdarra

dubhdarra Active Member

you buy ancient irish pipe, yes? genuine block meerstone! great deal. YOU BUY NOW!

13. Rugbysh9

Rugbysh9 Active Member

That's a hell of a sales pitch Dub, you're gonna go places in life :roflmao:

14. coreya

coreya New Member

Neither of the pipes are briar, the first is merscham and the second with the lid looks a bit like merscham but hasn't colored like an old well used one would so if anyone has any idea what it might be made of or what pipes like this were made of at the turn of the century I would love to hear your ideas! thanks

15. mrlindeman

mrlindeman Member

My goodness! Drool!!!! Those are awsome! :groucho: I cant wait to have my collection like that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.